New pool surface prep questions

Built the screed board today. It's quite straight, maybe off as much as 1/8" to 1/4" low in the middle. It's set to leave no more than 1" of sand - just enough to fill the divots. Note my whole leveling job depends on these boards being level. I've checked level with both 6' level and also masonry line/line level both along the boards and across the diagonals. Everything is dead center.

Rough screed tomorrow, wet down thoroughly, screed again, then put the foam and pool liner on top.
After that I'll have the big job of recessing/leveling the pavers to support the legs and finally install and fill the pool.

2014-06-19 17.42.53.jpg

This morning I finished screeding. Now it's time to partially set up the pool so I can find where to sink my pavers.

My question is what to put on the sand?
I have 24x12 of 1/4" Foamular foam. Should I even bother with the ground cloth that came with the pool?
If I do put it down, I'll probably cut it back since it sticks out 2 feet and I plan to put flagstones around the pool in between the pavers.
Any thoughts?
2014-06-22 07.55.35.jpg

Last edited:
If you put down the ground cloth, make sure to leave someplace for water to drain off of it. Otherwise, when it rains, water will pool on top of it and stagnate. For this reason, I removed a waterproof tarp that I had used and replaced it with a water permeable landscaping fabric that I purchased in the gardening department at Home Depot. Then over that, I poured river stones.

temporary_zps96f23d75.jpg

temporary_zps04820591.jpg

That looks great. I may forego the cloth all together and just put it on the foam. I have some river rocks and that may be what I put around the edges between the pool and the border.
[Edit]
Sounds like the most common is foam, then cloth/tarp, then liner. So that's what I'm doing. Taping the foam now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool install is complete, thanks to all that helped answer questions.
A few observations:'

1) The foam underneath is worth it. The bottom feels great
2) My total install cost was $2000. $1300 for pool + sand filter + saltwater generator and another $700 in lumber, hardware, sand, tool rentals, foam, and labor (not including my own)
3) Getting it truly level and well supported was worth the 4 weekends spent. I have no doubt this pool will last. Don't skimp on this part.
4) The pool and the pump are high quality for the price. I'm very impressed with Intex.
5) It's only 45" deep. If you're expecting 48" (or 52") think again. But, the depth is perfect for us.
6) The ladder is rickety.
7) I'll probably get a thru-wall skimmer
8) 12x24 is a great size. Big enough for a real swim.

Hope any of this is helpful for others thinking of the same product.

pool.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.