Jul 12, 2020
Toronto
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Very exciting, I am attempting to balance a new pool for the first time. Checking if I'm on track.

Some numbers:

FC=10
TA=130
PH=7.8
CH=140
CYA=30

Water is crystal clear, added stabilizer to bring CYA up , it will probably continue to creep I expect to 40-50 over the next day.
My next steps:
Increase CH to around 250 and add Muriatic acid to bring the PH and TA down.
Let FC fall to around 5-6.

Thanks!

Hi Jonovision, looks like you are off to a good start to the swimming season!

At CYA 30 5-6 FC is good. Your pH is fine, but I am like you, I like mine to be around 7.6. My only recommendation here is to make sure to use PoolMath, and then only add HALF the MA that it calls for. Better to have to add some more than to add too much and then have to start going the other way.

Low CH isn't really an issue with Fiberglass pools. No plaster to worry about. However, again I am like you. Last year I added calcium chloride to get my up to about 200. But most of the experts here will tell you to watch your CSI and know before you do. Again, I always added half that is called for and adjust from there.

How old is your pool? My Fiberglass pool is 18 years old and looks to have many more years of life left in it!

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely be cautious. It is brand new so I am happy to hear yours is on its 18th season ! How has it been? My only concern is keeping the gelcoat to last 20 years. Have you redone the gelcoat at all? I see you are a neighbor in Michigan, good to see it handles our climate well.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely be cautious. It is brand new so I am happy to hear yours is on its 18th season ! How has it been? My only concern is keeping the gelcoat to last 20 years. Have you redone the gelcoat at all? I see you are a neighbor in Michigan, good to see it handles our climate well.

Nope it is the original gelcoat. Also, I guess technically this is the 19th season! It was installed by the previous home owner in spring of 2003. If you follow TFP protocols I see no reason that your gelcoat won't last 20+ years!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.