New pool replaster

ciaka

Jun 10, 2020
Austin, TX
Some history about our pool:
Poo is inground, about 34k gal, pebble with glass.
We built a new pool, which was completed last November.
Since then we used it exactly.....once. just couple days ago.
Pool had been acid washed by builders, which resulted in streaks. Told builders to fix. Initially they said they can fix but then they visited, and Said they have to drain and replaster.
So today they are supposed to show to drain and start removal of plaster

I wonder what I will need to do with the pool equipment (pumps, filters, etc), to make sure nothing is damaged. They will be draining, but I have no clue what else they plan to do in terms of preventing equipment damage, so I hope to get some insight from you fine folks.
Thank you in advance for info.

They should bring their own submersible pumps that can quickly drain the pool. All of your equipment should be turned off at the breaker panel box. They should drill 1 or 2 holes in the deep end through the gunite to relieve any pressure from the water table to avoid floating your pool shell. These will be filled back in when they replaster.
Will they chip out all existing plaster? That is preferred method. They should also remove all of your return and jet hardware, drain covers, etc. and replace with new upon completion. Ensure they do not damage any waterline tile when they chip out the plaster.

When mine was being done, they shut off power to the pad then did chip out, everything just sat powered off until it was ready last weekend

Yeah. Told me they will chip out.
Also bringing their own pumps to drain...there now, I am in CA now so not there to see.
Also told me they will drill weep holes too.
As to return hardware they did not mention anything. Will have to ask. Thanks.

What exactly us a chip out, and how do they do it? Does it take long? Do they chip out entire pool and spa?
Aside from checking tiles for damage, anything else to look out for here? They will drill weep holes. Thanks.

What exactly us a chip out, and how do they do it? Does it take long? Do they chip out entire pool and spa?
Aside from checking tiles for damage, anything else to look out for here? They will drill weep holes. Thanks.
I can show you mine if you want to see it, the come in with jack hammers and just get the plaster off, I think mine took about 4 noisy hours to completely chip out

Reactions: HermanTX
Just got home. Looked ar the pool chipout process. Looks like they are chipping out about 6" around tiles. Then they are putting a grey coat of some sort to rest. We're they supposed to chip out entire thing? Trying to understand what they're doing here to my pool. Thanks.
Here are pics of what they are doing to my pool.
Is that what the chipout process is supposed to look like?

Attachments

• 20210616_101047.jpg
    20210616_101047.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210616_101115.jpg
    20210616_101115.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 20210616_101204.jpg
    20210616_101204.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 36
If you have a handy pic it would be great, but don't trouble yourself if you don't have one. I am more curious than anything. I am in CA, and dog sitter told me they arrived to drain. I went to my iAqualink app and it was orange light telling me pool is in service. The crew dud some chipping (just saw pick from dog sitter), but I also just opened the iAqualink app, and the light next to the pool name is green again (although my pool turns off automatically on schedule at 8pm, past that time in TX now).
So I wonder if they took pool out of service before leaving. This would mean the pumps will turn back on at 8am tomorrow (which can break them without water). That would suck. Trying to figure out what to do.

If you have a handy pic it would be great, but don't trouble yourself if you don't have one. I am more curious than anything. I am in CA, and dog sitter told me they arrived to drain. I went to my iAqualink app and it was orange light telling me pool is in service. The crew dud some chipping (just saw pick from dog sitter), but I also just opened the iAqualink app, and the light next to the pool name is green again (although my pool turns off automatically on schedule at 8pm, past that time in TX now).
So I wonder if they took pool out of service before leaving. This would mean the pumps will turn back on at 8am tomorrow (which can break them without water). That would suck. Trying to figure out what to do.
Here is what mine looked liked during and after chip out618AE619-6D6D-4C06-9EC7-3860FA102B30.jpeg7D4E9230-4211-4E57-BF8F-1F57C1C3A86E.jpeg90D8B240-A48C-459D-B410-E22A2E7D6433.jpeg

Just got home. Looked ar the pool chipout process. Looks like they are chipping out about 6" around tiles. Then they are putting a grey coat of some sort to rest. We're they supposed to chip out entire thing? Trying to understand what they're doing here to my pool. Thanks.
Here are pics of what they are doing to my pool.
Is that what the chipout process is supposed to look like?
They really should chip out all the plaster. You need to ask them what is there process and challenge if not a full chip out

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The purpose of a full chipout is 2-fold. First you remove all good and bad plaster and starting from gunite layer again. Second is that you have a good surface that the new plaster can adhere to.
Now what they appear to have done, and this is just an assumption based on your picture, is chipped away from around the fittings and along the tile line because they have to slope the new plaster into that to make it flush, i.e. like the original. The middle of the pool appears to be coated with some texture to help new plaster adhere to it but they avoided all that effort to remove the old plaster and hopefully it is all good plaster that they covered up because if it is bad then it may have weakness in the future - could be years but still a possibility. Now they may have checked the whole surface and made a decision it was good plaster but the preferred method is to chip it all out and start fresh from the gunite shell.
So it be interesting to hear their reasoning for what they did or what appears to be a partial chipout.

I had a good talk with them today about this.
They said full chipout is rare, unless the plaster is old or compromised already. And is much more pricey.
What they did was to chip out about a foot of the pebble finish, around all jets, inlets, sleeves, etc. The remaining pebble (which is still brand new from last November), was coated with a bonding layer (thin, gray looking stuff in the pics).
I explained to them that looking at the partial chipout they did, the new pebble would be a good thickness in all areas where they actually chipped out. However, in all areas where the pebble remains and is coated with bonding layer, they would either have to put new pebble in a much thinner layer, or that new layer would still be thick, either way they would have to mold new layers to slope them in a way, that makes it look as if the level is flat, even if it is not.
The lady initially told me that is not going to happen, but once I told here it is physically impossible to put an inch of new layer, on top of existing 1 inch layer, and still fit that resulting thickness, into a 1 inch space. Then she admitted there will be sloping. I expressed concern that the large tan ledge I have will easily be a place where this sloping can be perceived, and she then told me they will do full chipout. Said she cannot tell how long it will be. I asked if it will be in next 6 months, and she said between now and after July 4. I am perfectly fine with that.
So looks like we are going to get the full chipout and new layer.

She told me they tested the water and it was not according to specs. I asked when they tested it, and she said mid March. Then I told her that I have a full record of testing every 2 or 3 days. I asked how they tested it, she told me they took sample and tested at a pool store. I insisted my water quality was well within norms, but she kept saying they tested it and swears by them. However I can clearly see my levels were good. Either case, new full chipout coming, and hoping to get new pebble by early July. This whole thing could be very much avoided had they done their work well off the bat. Now I am paying the price for their poor workmanship, that is what irritates me - my time wasted due to their need to be quick rather than good.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.