Bluffton, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Hey all, still getting quotes on new pool and have some questions.
This is my first experience with a pool so trying to get an understanding of everything.
I'm in Hilton Head, SC and pool is going to be a small (4800 gal) inground design. Equipment quoted so far:

Pentair Intelliflo variable speed pump
Pentair Hi-rate sand filter with Hi-flow multi port valve
Automatic chlorinator
1 - 400 watt LED pool light
AquaCal Heat/Cool heat pump (SQ166R)

Also, I am being given a choice between the Pentair Salt/Chlorine generator or a Heyward HydraPure water sanitizer UV/ozone oxidizer combination. Cost is the same but some builders are pushing one and others going the opposite. Looks like on here a lot of you prefer the Salt.
Any suggestions or input is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Go with the salt system, it's a much better sanitizer than uv/ozone. The saltwater system generates chlorine, which will sanitize all the water in your pool, all the time. The UV systems only sanitize the water that happens to be passing through it at any give time -- you would still need to chlorinate your pool with such a system.

If you "read the fine print" you'll find that manufacturers of UV or ozone systems (or combo systems) recommend including chlorine as part of their "sanitizing" systems. That's because they all know that by themselves UV or ozone systems cannot properly protect you and your family from the pathogens and other nasties that get into the pool water. So you pay all that money for all that complicated equipment and really just end up with a chlorine pool.

The "choice" he gave you is not a choice. You want an SWG system, which does provide the necessary protections. And by the way, a saltwater pool is a chlorine pool. The SWG makes the chlorine for you so you don't have to buy, lug and dose it everyday. Chlorine is hands down the best choice for safe water in an outdoor residential pool.

If you'd like a lengthier explanation of why all that is, I'll be happy to oblige.

Now on the off chance that you're building an indoor pool, then the answer is slightly different...

Thanks for the replys. SWG system sounds like the way to go for sure.
Any chance someone can explain electrical hook ups for me? Is there one main line run from the home breaker box to a separate box outside on the equipment pad with a breaker for each piece of equipment? Pool builder is charging what seems to be a lot for electrical hook up with add on charges for things like going to a variable speed pump and hook up of each piece of equipment. Just want to have an idea of what I'm talking about before I come at him. Thanks

Thanks for the replys. SWG system sounds like the way to go for sure.
Any chance someone can explain electrical hook ups for me? Is there one main line run from the home breaker box to a separate box outside on the equipment pad with a breaker for each piece of equipment? Pool builder is charging what seems to be a lot for electrical hook up with add on charges for things like going to a variable speed pump and hook up of each piece of equipment. Just want to have an idea of what I'm talking about before I come at him. Thanks

Your assessment is generally correct. They will add a breaker to your main panel, run a wire to a subpanel that manages your pool. If you're doing automation, some of those systems are themselves the sub-panel. I don't know them all, I had a Jandy system at my old house and still had a separate sub-panel, but am planning on Intellicenter for this build and that will serve as the subpanel.

As for their charges, I would say just to get multiple bids and compare the totals. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if they charge a small fee for every piece and part or one lump sum fee for the whole hookup. Best for you to do all you can to make sure everything is included either way. You certainly don't want them coming back saying "oh, we didn't include hookup to the SWG, so here's a change order". Prices for hookup can vary, the hookup of the equipment should be standard, however, distance from equipment to main panel is variable for every pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.