New pool pump options

eskewj

Jan 10, 2014
Harrisburg, NC
Hello! I’m replacing my single-speed 3/4 hp pump with potentially a much higher capacity variable-speed pump. Also, I have a dead booster pump for a Polaris that’s been out of commission for a few years, but never bothered to replace because I don’t mind vacuuming myself all that much. I have two questions:

1. I’ve attached a photo of my current plumbing. With my existing configuration, can I remove my inoperable booster pump and run the Polaris robot with the variable-speed pump alone (just run it at a higher speed than normal)? When my current single-speed pump runs I can feel a bit of water coming out of the robot outlet port on the return side which is why I’m asking if this is possible.
2. If I can’t have One Pump To Rule Them All, can I swap out my dead booster pump with my soon-to-be retired single speed pump? The single-speed pump is still working, I’m just replacing it for energy savings / noise reasons. Thus I’d have a single-speed pump alongside a variable-speed for the sole purpose of running my robot when necessary.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_2108.jpg
    IMG_2108.jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 29
No and yes. ;) No, you can't run the Polaris off the main pump - it won't get enough flow. Yes, you can use your old 3/4 hp pump to run the Polaris - you'll need to plumb in the 1.5" pipe in place of the 3/4 " flexible but thats not a problem.

Edit: If that grey thing is a chlorinator, take the water feed for the polaris pump off before it.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.