New pool pump motor leaking between seal plate and motor

Jun 22, 2018
Ga
My new pool pump motor is leaking between the seal plate and motor. Pump is a pacfab challenger and motor is a century 1.5hp. I have tried to upload a video but i couldn't, so i put it on YouTube. The link is below

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thx so much. I watched the videos and have possibly seen my mistakes
1. I removed the gasket around the white part of the seal (i attached pic), as it was hard to install with the black gasket and my assumption was that it was just a protective cover for the seal that comes off.
2. I did not tighten the impeller as shown in the video, did not hold down the back portion when i was tightening up

Will these cause my issues? Will try to fix in the morning and hopefully it solves my problems. I appreciate all your help

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200719-030946_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200719-030946_Samsung Internet.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 4
Removing the gasket ruined the seal. Also if you touched the ceramic part with your bare hands you could have damaged it then as well. It you don't tighten the impeller it will come loose and not move any water. You will need a new seal, and you will need to follow the steps to install it correctly.

Thx so much. I watched the videos and have possibly seen my mistakes
1. I removed the gasket around the white part of the seal (i attached pic), as it was hard to install with the black gasket and my assumption was that it was just a protective cover for the seal that comes off.
2. I did not tighten the impeller as shown in the video, did not hold down the back portion when i was tightening up

Will these cause my issues? Will try to fix in the morning and hopefully it solves my problems. I appreciate all your help
One more thing to note:
When doing a seal change many times the ceramic comes out and leaves behind the rubber seal which looks like it's one piece and doesn't come out. Well the part you have around the new seal is what needs to be removed from the old parts.

Reactions: markayash
The black gasket from old seal was still inside as i only changed the ceramic part out making sure not to touch the white part. Screwed the impeller tigt by holding the part on the rear and leak has stopped. Thanks so much for your help

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.