New Pool Pump Installation - what do I need?

Aug 18, 2017
Florence, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Core-55
Hey everyone - I have been a long time reader but I don't believe I have posted before. I am about to replace my current single-speed pool pump with a new Variable Speed Pump (CaliMar® Variable Speed Pool Pump | 3HP | CMARVSP3.0) that is being delivered tomorrow. I would like to the installation Saturday if I can, and am wondering if someone can help me think through what kind of fittings I will need.

My plumbing is all 2", and I have plenty of PVC. I'm mainly wondering about the connection between the pipes coming out of the ground and the pump itself. Is there a special fitting that is needed to connect it to the pump, and can I get that at Lowes or HD? Also, what type of PVC glue/primer should I use?

I have hard-plumbed an above ground pool several years ago, so I am somewhat familiar with the process and I know that it is within my realm to do this, I am just trying to gather as much as I can now so I can make as few trips to the hardware store on Saturday.

Thanks everyone!

You can expect you might need some spare pipe, couplers, elbows, and adapters to mate the pump to the plumbing. Might be best to post a pic of your equipment pad now so we can see if first-hand.

No changes in electrical requirements correct?

I second the unions, mine have been on my pump now for 9 years and have not leaked a drop.. It makes it super easy to pull the pump if you ever need to like changing the motor or installing new seals.. :)

Google Photos to the rescue! I happened to have one picture of my current set up. If you want others I can take some when I go home for lunch today. Thank you for the input so far!

In this picture you will see my current pump which I am replacing. It looks like those unions (making sure I get the correct size) that you sent (plus the pipe which I already have as well as an assortment of elbows, couplers, etc...) will take care of me.

Are those unions available at local pool stores or is Amazon my only choice? I'd love to have them on Saturday and right now if I ordered them they wouldn't be delivered until mid-day Saturday which would probably knock out my ability to do this this weekend (which is not the end of the world).

Also, yes the electrical setup remains the same - both pumps operate on 230v. I currently have an intermatic timer which I installed last year, but I will remove that and just leave the pump hard-wired directly to the breaker box.

Attachments

• FCFA4E21-6331-410E-9FE7-AFB157C794D5.JPG
    FCFA4E21-6331-410E-9FE7-AFB157C794D5.JPG
    637.8 KB · Views: 33
What about PVC glue? Is there any special type needed for pools? I don't have any right now so I will have to buy some anyways, so if there is a better kind to get for pools let me know. Thanks again!

If you live in an area that has a pool supply house that will sell to the public, they might have pump unions. Otherwise, Amazon is your likely source.

WOW - thank you all for the answers! Like I said, I have been reading this forum for a while but this was my first post. I am amazed at how quickly you all responded. I was able to find some fittings that have a 1 day delivery, so I will have everything that I need to get started on Saturday. Thanks to all of you so much!

Thanks for the suggestion on the PVC glue too - that is what I normally use and will continue to use it for my pool too. Thanks again everyone! I will try to remember to post an update once I get it installed. (By the way, in case anyone else is interested - I just kind of took a shot on this no name pool pump, but I figured for $500 I couldn't really go wrong.) I will save my old pump as a backup in case it does fail quickly, and if that happens then I will take the time to do proper research and pick out a more reliable pump next time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK...I'm an idiot (or rather, I just assume too much). I went home for lunch today and went out to verify some things (which I should have done before I purchased the pump, I know...)

My plumbing is actually 1.5". I remembered it being 2" so I didn't even check it before I bought the pump. The pump accepts 2" plumbing.

Would I be able to use an adaptor right before the pipes go into the pump to change the pipe from a 1.5" to 2"? And then vice-versa on the outflow portion of the pump? Or would I be better off to return the pump and get one with 1.5" plumbing? (The pump that I got accepts 2").

Will I run into any issues with having too much pressure if I try to use an adaptor like stated above?

Or like one of these. 2" out of the pump then downsize to 1.5".

Use a 1.5 inch to 2 inch adapter, it will be fine :)

Usually I would say get a 1.5 inch slip and 2 inch MIP but I can not find one of those... the normal one is 1.5 mip and 2 inch slip...

I just wanted to say thanks again for the help. I think I’ve got all the parts that I need to make the install on Saturday assuming I can find the time to do it. Thanks again everyone!

full

I completed the install today! Thanks everyone! It’s not super clean, but it works. I would love to clean up the ground and put a concrete pad in sometime as well as redo the plumbing, but that’s a future project.

It still took me another trip to Home Depot that I was not planning for. The total time it took me was about 5 hours…should have been done in two or less but I spent a few hours trying to avoid a 15 minute trip to the store. Ha.

Attachments

• DA1FB597-74F3-4EAC-9A1D-A24B98F33638.jpeg
    DA1FB597-74F3-4EAC-9A1D-A24B98F33638.jpeg
    521 KB · Views: 28

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.