New pool (pool store recommendations)

Thank you so much for all your help! I do not have a salt test kit yet, in all honesty I was hoping the SWG would give me accurate readings. Here's a breakdown of what I've added today

1. (4lbs) CYA using the sock method in the skimmer
2. 8 bags of salt
3. (10lbs) Alkalinity balance
4. (1/2 gallon) 12.5% liquid bleach
5. Turned on the SWG to super chlorinate (generating light is on solid green) pool math calculator told me to run the pump at 100% for 14hrs to achieve 3ppm

I'm planning to let the SWG run all night and test the water first thing in the morning. At this point I'm really hoping I didnt misunderstand anything or miss anything

Looks good. The need for a salt test kit is that SWCG cells tend to report low salt when they start to fail or have other issues. And then you just add salt and in actuality you did not need salt. And then you drain a bunch of water to lower salt. You are OK for now, but in the future you might want to consider getting a salt test kit.

If the water is crystal clear and tomorrow all your tests show what you expect, we can discuss adding the balance of the CYA.

Only thing I can add is a note that I kept way back when I was starting up, and scribbling down every gem everyone said here....do not use Clorox Pool Salt as it can stain pools.

Here are my results from testing this morning

6/2/2020
FC= 7.4
CC= No combined chlorine (didn’t turn to pink after 5 drops of R0003)
pH: 7.6 (Acid demand: N/A because we have a good pH?)
TA= 100
CH= 20
CYA= 30
Salt generator reads 3300 on the board

What's my next steps?

Let it run a day or two. If the water is crystal clear, then add 30 ppm of CYA and adjust your FC target range accordingly.

If you see any foaming, you may have to add a touch of calcium. But if no foaming, no issues.

Water is crystal clear although I do see some debris at the bottom of the pool. Is it ok to vaccum already? I do notice a little foaming when skimming but nothing that I would be bothered by.

Pool math is telling me to add an additional 4lbs of CYA to reach my 70ppm target, does that seem right? Could I add half and test again tomorrow or just add the full 4lbs?

Also any recommendations as to what percentage I should set the SWG to? I have it set to 80% now after testing this morning

You can vacuum.
I just suggested to wait a day or two on the additional CYA to be sure everything is fine. But if you want to add it, go ahead. Just remember to wait a couple days after you add it to test for it.

To add 3 ppm of FC per day to your pool you need to run the pump for 15 hours a day with your SWCG set at 80%. Try that for a few days and see if the FC goes up or down. Adjust your pump run time accordingly to keep FC in the target range for your CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So here's something interesting that has me scratching my head a bit, I have a T-5 cell on the aquatrol unit. Is this ok? I thought the aquatrol was a T3 cell?

Attachments

• 20200602_135945.jpg
    20200602_135945.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200602_135926.jpg
    20200602_135926.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 0
Interesting. I do not see why it would not work. Sometimes with Hayward stuff you have to adjust the controller for what cell you have.
@JamesW, is this an issue?

Does that mean that I would then be producing enough chlorine for a 20,000 gallon pool rather than a 18,000 gallon with the T3 cell? Just trying to figure it all out because honestly I wasn't expecting to have a FC level of 7.4 this morning after adding only a half gallon yesterday with Zero chlorine initially

Right. The T3 is a 15000 rated cell. The Aquatrol (above ground pool) unit is shown as rated at 18000 gallons.

Not a huge difference.

And I also haven't the slightest clue as to how to adjust the Hayward controller to match the cell.

Another question (I know it's the 7,000th question) I keep hearing a loud suction type noise (sounds almost like the filter sucking air) but it's coming out of the return jet, not the skimmer, and when this happens you can visibly see what looks like a poof of cloudy water shoot out of the return jet. Doesnt make the water cloudy at all in fact its crystal clear. Any idea what would be causing that to happen?

I pinged one of your experts to help on the controller. He will be by sometime today.

Sounds like air in the water? If so, is your skimmer staying full? Do you need to raise your water level? Are there any suction line leaks before the pump? Is the pump basket lid securely installed with pool lube on the gasket?

Today's test results

FC= 8.6
CC= 0 (didn't turn pink)
pH= 7.8
TA= 110
CH= 20
CYA= less than 30 (dot didnt dissapear)
Saturation Index= -1.1

The chlorine is still going up and the PH has also risen since yesterday. I have turned the SWG down to 50% and I have the pump set to run 14hrs per day. Should I shut the SWG off for now? What should my next steps be to get everything at optimal levels? CYA and CH seem to be pretty low as well

Also on a side note, the pump is no longer making that noise like it's got air in the system since I put the solar cover on yesterday ? not sure what to make of that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.