New Pool Plumbing and Automation System

Mar 13, 2017
Folsom, CA
Hello everyone!

I have spent a lot of time reading through the forums and thank everyone for their time contributing to help people like myself out.

I am planning to install a new Pentair EasyTouch 4, new main pump (Pentair Intelliflo VS 011012) new booster pump (Pentair LA-MS05), and all new plumbing and valves. I have a 20,000 gallon pool, with waterfall, and existing solar that I will continue to use. I spent time putting together a diagram showing how I plan on plumbing the pool. I was hoping someone could give it a look and provide any feedback or things you would do different. I have spent HOURS reading through installation guides, tech specs, etc. I am an engineer so I am pretty comfortable reading installation guides and tech specs.

I attached a diagram to this post that I put together. Please see the link in this post.

Here is my equipment list that I plan on purchasing:
-Pentair EasyTouch 4 with IC20 PN# 520592
-Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump PN# 011018
-Pentair Boost-Rite Booster Pump PN# LA-MS05
-Pentair ScreenLogic Kit PN# 522104
-Pentair Pressure Side Cleaner Kreepy Krauly PN# LL505PM
-pH Controller PN# 521377
- Required check valves, valves, and actuators, temp sensors (3) - if anyone has a brand they prefer I am very interested in this. Trying to keep things with all the same manufacturer, but if it makes sense I would like to know.

Will the EasyTouch4 be sufficient? I need to spend a bit more time running through the book to understand what types of things it is capable of be default, like cleaners, main pump, booster pump, solar. Compared to the additional "features" they are referring to. I think they only "feature" I have is the waterfall.

Can the EasyTouch also handle the power to the IC20 without a separate Power Center?

I really appreciate the help in advance!

Attachments

• Plumbing Diagram.jpg
    Plumbing Diagram.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 84
I think you might be short-changing yourself but our automation guru should be by any minute....I think you might want to consider the ET-8 panel as you can pair it with an IC-40 or IC-60. I know you're being told a 20k gallon pool only needs an IC-20 but that's B/S. I have a 15k gallon pool and I have an IC40; when the day comes to replace it, I'm going with an IC60. SWG's only produce chlorine when the pump is running. So, if you get a small SWG, then you have to run it at a higher output percentage (typically 100%) and for longer times than a larger sized SWG. From an economic standpoint (as well as ROI and cost of chlorine over the life of the cell), it almost always makes more sense to get the largest SWG possible.

Read this post - Economics of Saltwater Chlorine Generators

Chad,

Welcome to TFP... A Great place for engineers looking for answers to their pool questions... :shark:

Here are a few things that stick out to me...

1. You list an IC20, which you would think would work for a 20K pool, but it flat out won't. To use the IC20 you would have to run your pump 24/7 and have the SWCG set to 100% output. I suggest the minimum you go with is the IC40. We always recommend that the SWCG needs to be at least 2 x the size of your pool...

2. You listed the Variable Flow Intelliflo pump P/N 011012, which I would not recommend... And you also listed the Variable Speed Intelliflo pump, which I would highly recommend...

3. The EasyTouch you buy needs to have the Internal SWCG power supply. I would suggest you buy a package deal that comes with the ET with internal SWCG power supply, IC40, and two actuators. Here is a sample... http://www.sunplay.com/pentair-easy-touch-control-system-520545

4. I would go with an ET 8 as four relays are not enough.. I have an ET 4 and wish I had gone with the 8. You also don't really have 4 relays as one (pump/filter relay) is dedicated to running the SWCG's power supply. You would assume at least one for the pool light, and one for the pad light, and one for the booster pump, and oH!! you are out of relays... :cool:

5. The ET 4 or 8 can only control 4 valve actuators. Two are not user programmable and are used to switch between the Pool and Spa mode. You "might" be able to kluge something together, but who knows???? That leaves you with two user programmable valves drivers.. One of these two would be used for your Solar, that only leaves you with one... I have added an additional valve driver into my system, but it is not something it comes with..

6. You usually don't use a Jandy valve to control the water going into the Booster pump. You just plumb (with 3/4" pipe) so that the water is always going to the booster. It won't be a problem because the booster is not on.

7. The ET will control your Intelliflo and SWCG via communication cables.. The Booster will need to use one relay. (But I would recommend a Robot and ditch the booster and kreepy... In todays world would you buy an old black rotary dial phone or a cellphone? Well a robot is like a cellphone, technology wise... Here is a great thread... https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiSqdaU0tTSAhXC5yYKHaJYDqcQFggfMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.troublefreepool.com%2Fthreads%2F120447-First-Robotic-Cleaner-Doheny-s-Discovery&usg=AFQjCNF7QGio9kpCzaS2BOtLOgO6r_gRkw

Thanks for posting, and you can now start working on diagram V2.0... :gone:

Jim R.

Great Point! Thanks for sharing that information. I will definitely make a change to an IC40 at a minimum. It sounds like an IC60 would be worth it regardless of the upfront cost over time.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess that is one way to make sure everyone is paying attention :). I meant the Intelliflo VS pump 011018. Glad to hear some validation on the VF though as I was evaluating using that instead. The reason for the valve at the cleaner (if I go that route) was for a more efficient water flow and so that I don't have to have all the water running through the solar and back to the pool, etc. I could just run the main pump and cleaner directly without all the extra water pushing.

I will have to have a look at the robotic cleaners. For some reason I imaging a cord running across the yard to the pool to run that thing? Can they be put on some sort of automation schedule?

Chad,

Well, you will have to have a short AC power cord from the External GFCI power outlet on the ET to the AC to DC power supply for the Robot. The DC cord from the power supply to the Robot is about 50' long.

The outlet does not come with the ET, something almost everyone adds...

Most robots can be somewhat programmed to run for a week.. everyday, every other day, ect..

If you plan to just leave the robot in the water all the time, you are better off using the booster system. The basic idea behind the robot is that your pool should not need to be cleaned everyday.

In my case, I personally don't like to see my robot or any other cleaner in my pool. In the summer it comes out when it is done.. I get a little (ok a lot) lazier in the winter. :p

I don't believe that you can just run just the cleaner... the Intelliflo can't push water just through a 3/4" pipe. It would "starve" to death... Just put a 2" x 2" x 3/4" T where you have the Jandy valve with the 3/4" pipe going to the cleaner. The rest of the water will have to go back to the pool one way or another.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.