New Pool Plaster Very Rough

May 29, 2016
ada, mo
So this is my first Pool with plaster. We had it built last September. I have been following the TFP method and only I have been taking care of it.

The kids swam yesterday and all of them had bloody toes from the plaster being so rough. Not exaggerating the plaster just looks and feels awful. Its the entire pool except around 1 foot below the tile line. Is there anything I can do to help this?

FC-4
PH-7.5
TA-80
CH-300
CYA-60

First thing I would do is have my builder come out and check the plaster and see if there is anything they will do under the warranty. Do you know if the CH and pH were high for a period of time?

Unfortunately I have had them over and they say everything is completely fine and this has been three times. The plaster looks like it has scaling all over it (which I assume its scaling its white/grey spots 40% of the pool). Even the kids friends keep asking what is all over the pool...And now the roughness. I am so upset at this point I dont know what to do.

The PH constantly would go up but I always added acid to bring it back down. So it didn't stay high for a long period. And the CH was never been real high.

If the builder won't deal with it, you'll have to.

Drive pH down to 7.2 and brush the walls vigorously with a stainless steel brush. Hint: the skinny ones are easier for this 9" or so instead of 2 feet. Keep the pH down there as much as possible and you may be able to dissolve the scale or at least soften the edges. It could take a couple weeks to see any results at all.

If that doesn't do it, then you're looking at a drain and sandblast or drain and acid wash, or a no-drain acid wash. Any of those three options are rough on the plaster. But what choice do you have? The kids can't swim in it the way it is.

Thank you. I will get the steel brush and start today. Is it ok to still run the heater and pump while I am doing this?
I assumed you would be, which is why I said pH to 7.2. Lower would work better but can damage the heat exchanger in the heater and possibly the metal parts in the pump.

Also worth a try -- drywall sanding screens. But they leave an awful mess that needs vacuuming as they disintegrate.

Just don't let the pH drop below 7.0 and you should be fine. Keep an eye on filter pressure and clean it when the pressure shows a 20% increase over starting pressure after it has just been cleaned. It will probably rise faster while you are keeping pH low and brushing the pool so you may be cleaning your filter more frequently than you are used to.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.