Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital Nano+ PPC2
Greetings from Myrtle Beach, SC! We are new pool owners of a 10,000 gallon pool that has a Triton II TR-60 Filter and a Pentair Multi-port valve. We have desperately tried to find a pool guy to teach us some things about how all of the pieces of equipment work together, the proper way to vacuum, etc. with no success-- they're all too busy and will not return phone calls! So we had no other choice but to learn things on our own.

My question today is this: how to we vacuum our pool- what steps to we take to shut the pool off? I know how to fill up the hose that goes to the vacuum with water, stick the hose in the skimmer, etc. But my biggest question is: is it best when you have a lot of debris (we have pine tress all around us) to vacuum to the filter or vacuum to waste? Of course was you think, but if we vacuum to waste it drains the pool too low?

We were vacuuming today; the pool water level got low, we turned off the filtering system, put more water in the pool (but not enough, in my opinion), and turned the vacuum back on (vacuum to the filter.) Since we're turning the skimmer on, we must also turn on the main drain, right? (Note we're still filling pool with water at this time as well). We look outside and the pool level has dropped even lower (which I told my husband it would happen) So my pointed questions are:

1. when vacuuming a pool- your water levels should be high or at least just right, correct?
2. Can you turn on the skimmer but turn off the main drain (both suction lines) when you're vacuuming through the skimmer?
3. What is the best way to vacuum?

I thank you in advance for your time and consideration on this!

Cyndi Lou

Welcome to TFP.

It may be best to post several pictures of your equipment pad, both the suction side leading to the pump and the return side(pipes coming from the heater or filter that lead back to the pool).

Do you have a separate cleaner for the pool or only a vacuum that connects as you say to your skimmer?

If you had algae, I would vacuum to waste so it does not get into my filter. But with pine needles, I think you could go the filter, however, your pump basket may fill up with the pine needles first.

If your pool is overfilled, like after a storm, you can vacuum to waste and kill two birds with one stone. Otherwise, I vacuum to filter and empty the pump basket right after.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.