new pool owner

retc

Sep 5, 2019
New Orleans, LA 70125
Just purchased a home with a 22' by 11' salt water pool and we are only planning on using the place as a weekend getaway. I have never had a place with a pool before and need help learning how to minimize maintenance work for this one. I am perfectly happy to clean and care for it when I am there but I won't be there all the time,

Hi there Retc :wave: You've come to the right place! Welcome!

With a Salt Water Chlorine Generated pool you have the most protection against algae in your situation. You'll know that it will chug along making chlorine as long as you've got the pump set up to run daily.

If you had a cover for the pool ideally you could just put the SWG on a low low setting, shut the pool up and leave for the week. Then when you come back weekly its just a matter of opening to allow the pool to "breath", brushing and caring for the pool and checking your levels.

Skippy and I have been able to leave for a vacation of 17 days and return to a clean, clear pool. Of course we have an autocover which helps ENORMOUSLY.

Most important for you is a GOOD test kit. You need the FAS-DPD chlorine test which comes in few kits. The two we recommend are the TF-100 and the K-2006C. The "C" version is the most comparable to the TF-100 in size of reagents. Personally the TF-100 is a better buy. You can find it at
www.tftestkits.net

Will anyone be checking on the pool/house while you're gone weekly?

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.