New Pool Owner

Jun 12, 2018
New York
Hi

I just bought a house with a semi-in ground pool and know nothing about pools whatsoever. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the water testing and all the chemicals that need to be added. What are the first few things I need to do? The previous owner had been using chlorine pucks and test strips and left me a bunch of that stuff. But from what I've been reading on this site, I should be using liquid chlorine? The water looks clear to me right now. How do I know when its safe to swim in? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hard to say, since you have not filled out your signature :p

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you.

You should likely add chlorine every day, but need more details to know how much.
Pump likely only need to run for 3-4 hours, but more will not hurt if it is skimming things out.

Unless want to wait, you can buy Taylor 2006 or 2006C.

take a sample and go pool store and at last see what they will say.

Buy liquid Chlorine, you can find this is in Walmart.

Do not use any tab or shock at all...

When you get test KIT, you need to check CYA. Depending on this, you may need water exchange.
Once it is set, then you will follow CYA / FC ratio and add daily liq.chlorine....

But if color of your pool green or greenish etc....you may need SLAM...simply that is little longer shock process.

One other good think, better to add your signature pool and equipment details, so expert can help you faster...

if you follow up couple of rules, taking care of pool ; easiest think in the planet :)

Using PoolMath, I would sugget adding about 3-4ppm of FC each day until you have a test kit.

How much bleach that is depends on the strength that you find ... make sure there are no additives.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Use PoolMath. Enter your volume at the top, enter 0 in the Now FC Column and enter you target level in the right column, and the % in the appropriate box and it will tell you how much you need.

HINT: It is roughly 3/4 gallon of 6%

I can't make it to the new house to add in liquid chlorine every day right now. If I can only go 3 times a week to the house, do I just double up on the amount of chlorine I need to add each time I can make it to the house? We don't plan on swimming in the pool yet since we haven't moved in and its been cold here in NY, but just want to keep it relatively algae free until I have more time to spend on it.

Being that we have NO idea what your CYA is .... which determines the safe FC levels for your pool. I am hessitant to say to just add a whole bunch of chlorine.

Given your location, I am going to guess that your CYA is not too high. You may be able to float some tablets in the pool to help keep the FC up and the algae at bay, but that will add more CYA so have to hope it is not already high.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.