New Pool Owner... Yes another cloudy pool.

sierradmax

May 25, 2020
RI
Last week, I completed the install of my first 24' round AG pool and sand filter (new sand). Prior to running the pump, I failed to backwash (rookie mistake) yet ran the pump for about 12 hours then had water tested. After $200 worth of chemicals and 5 days of staged treatments, I have my PH at 7.8, alkalinity, calcium and CYA levels in "OK" range. FC is at 5 and our pool is very cloudy (cannot see 36" into pool, or 3rd step). Before another water sample test and $$$ at a pool store, I've read that possibly pool clarifier can help.
Or flocculant then pump to waste due to fine sand particles.

Which is suggested first?

This site is really about testing your own water, understanding the FC/CYA relationship, and only putting in the basic chemicals that your pool needs (ie no gimmicky products usually found in pool stores).

What you are describing is what we call getting "pool stored". You are at their mercy for testing, there is a lot of guess work including what you actually put in your pool, and the only thing for certain is that your wallet is lighter when you walk out.

If TFP is for you, then I would suggest reading up in pool school. My immediate next steps would be:
1. Order a proper test kit (TF-100 is recommended, see my signature)
2. Maintain the FC of 5
3. Backwash your filter, note the clean pressure when you are done... monitor it for more backwashing when it rises by 20%
4. Once you get your test kit, post your full test results and we can go from there

First. Keep enough chlorine in pool to maintain 4 or 5 ppm until your test kit arrives. Plain bleach only no additives. Pool essentials from Walmart or something similar. Do not add anything else.

Second Order your own test kit. Either the TF 100 or Taylor K-2006c. Money well spent. You can’t trust guess strips or even pool stores for accurate measurements. You will be chasing your tail.

Third. read through pool school, ABCs of pool water chemistry. Read on slamming which you will need to do once tests done and posted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.