New Pool Owner Worried about High CYA

CYA down to 50, was hoping for a bit lower but should work.
A CYA of 50 you can work with. With a SLAM chlorine level of 20, and 3/4 of the algae also drained out, it should be an efficient SLAM. I agree with JJ above, algae is the priority to eradicate first, getting to the CH and TA can wait until you pass all three criteria of the SLAM.

BTW, great choice on getting rid of that service. They clearly were not doing you, or your water any favors and you never would be able to get through this if they were still messing it up.

Update: I started the SLAM on Sunday morning. I thought it would be pretty quick and we have been great about testing/adding multiple times per day. Sunday night we lost 3.5 FC and Monday night we lost another 3.5 FC. Water is pretty clear but not TFP clear, so we continue. Unfortunately we ran out of R-0871 this evening so will not be able to test in the morning. Amazon should fix that tomorrow. It is easy to use a lot of reagent when running FC at 20!

Reactions: Newdude
SLAM complete! Lost 0.5 FC overnight so all criteria are met. So now I let FC drift down to normal levels, retest everything again, and see what is next? I assume I will need to raise CH.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.