New pool owner with air in the pump!

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Hello, I am a new pool owner with air in the pump.

First of all, I have a kidney shaped pool, approximately 20,000 gallons. It's in-ground, with a vinyl liner and it's right under a massive tree that drops tiny leaves constantly. I have a pentair whisperflo pump with a pentair clean and clear plus 420 sq ft cartridge filter system (fairly new). Additionally, I live in Wisconsin, where the season only lasts 3-4 months.

Anyways, the pool has a functioning skimmer, but the main drain was covered when the new vinyl was put in. My guess is that it was non-operational due to a leak in the pipe and it was too expensive to repair. Either way, I am running on the skimmer only. I bought a vacuum for manual operation and am working on purchasing a robot to do the rest.

The problem that I have is that I can't seem to get the pump to run air free. I have changed the O-rings at the basket and valves. I have taken apart the pump and cleaned it out as much as possible. I have changed the cartridges in the filter. The water level of the pool is good. I am thinking there is a leak somewhere so I tried using a hose to see if I can drown any leaks along the way, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I am thinking about buying some insents to see if I can track the leak with the smoke, but otherwise, I am running out of ideas.

Any thoughts?

Hello and welcome to TFP. :wave:
I am running on the skimmer only
Not a problem. Catching that surface debris before it sinks works well. As for the air in your pump basket, it sounds as if you've been checking the basics as noted on the TFP Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks page. You didn't say it, but I'm assuming you did lube the O-Ring well with a pool silicone (or Teflon) lube? Along with water and incense, I've also tried plastic wrap around some pipes above ground to try and isolate a potential air leak area. Most suction side air leaks are above ground, so hopefully you'll find it soon. Hope that helps.

Oh, don't forget the pump drain plug(s) O-Rings as well.

Thank you for he welcome, Pat. I did indeed lube the O-rings, but still nothing. The drain plugs didn't have O-rings, but I applied teflon tape to ensure a clean seal.... still nothing. womp womp. Any other ideas?

I read somewhere that if pipe diameters from the pool and to the pool differ in size, it might play a role. Is this a thing?

Hello and welcome to TFP. :wave:
Not a problem. Catching that surface debris before it sinks works well. As for the air in your pump basket, it sounds as if you've been checking the basics as noted on the TFP Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks page. You didn't say it, but I'm assuming you did lube the O-Ring well with a pool silicone (or Teflon) lube? Along with water and incense, I've also tried plastic wrap around some pipes above ground to try and isolate a potential air leak area. Most suction side air leaks are above ground, so hopefully you'll find it soon. Hope that helps.

Oh, don't forget the pump drain plug(s) O-Rings as well.