New Pool owner - which test kit should I buy?

That was a great read and exactly what I was looking for. I had no idea that bleach could be a useful substitute. The other sections were also very informative. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

It appears to be just calcium chloride. That is good. However, in the future, you may be able to find it cheaper. Your mentioned $45 for either alkalinity plus or stabilizer. I already talked about the price of the alkalinity plus (baking soda). I just bought 6.5# of stabilizer (100% CYA) for $12.78. In my area, it is always less than $3/lb.

Looks like I definitely overpaid. I'll try to return the stuff today. Everything is unopened so shouldn't be a problem... hopefully. Thank you.

I would totally recommend taking the money and spending on the T100 test kit for sure.Its the best bang for the buck.I have the speed stir and it's OK.Never use it.I always know where my levels are close to so my manual stirring is good enough.I dropped the pool store along time ago.I only get stabilizer and pool tool's when I need them and I always get them from Lowe's.Walmart is the cheapest on Generic Bleach . Suggestion on Bleach.The cheapest price is not always the best.Went that round when I first started BBB Method.Found out real fast about chlorine hold for sure.Great Value Concentrate Bleach worked for me.Its 8.25 %.Switched to SWG this year and loving it for sure.No more manual add's every evening.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

I would totally recommend taking the money and spending on the T100 test kit for sure.Its the best bang for the buck.I have the speed stir and it's OK.Never use it.I always know where my levels are close to so my manual stirring is good enough.I dropped the pool store along time ago.I only get stabilizer and pool tool's when I need them and I always get them from Lowe's.Walmart is the cheapest on Generic Bleach . Suggestion on Bleach.The cheapest price is not always the best.Went that round when I first started BBB Method.Found out real fast about chlorine hold for sure.Great Value Concentrate Bleach worked for me.Its 8.25 %.Switched to SWG this year and loving it for sure.No more manual add's every evening.

Thanks for the feedback. I sat on the TFTtestkits website for 10 minutes unsure about making the purchase because the speedstir though highly recommended by others so far seemed to put the combined price ($105) into my discomfort zone. I will forgo the speedstir for now and revisit later on. Good info regarding Lowes as I'm there pretty much once a week anyway. On the other hand my pool supply store is in my local town and family run... I'll have to think about this some more.

Has long has to go there they will suck you dry and your pool water will never be there till you take full control over it and know what you are adding and the affects it will do.Its Alot to absorb now.But,the T100 has a step by step card on the inside of lid and for you know it you will not look at it.Use the Pool Calculator and all the info everyone on here gives you.You got it.

Has long has to go there they will suck you dry and your pool water will never be there till you take full control over it and know what you are adding and the affects it will do.Its Alot to absorb now.But,the T100 has a step by step card on the inside of lid and for you know it you will not look at it.Use the Pool Calculator and all the info everyone on here gives you.You got it.

Awesome. Thanks again. This is a great online community.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Since your pool is a salt water pool, I would also recommend the Taylor's K-1766 Salt Test Kit to go along with that TF-100.

Neat news out recently is that the TF-100 will also include a small bottle of CYA standard reagent (known 50ppm) so it will help you learn how to do that test. That one is considered the most subjective, yet it is also one of the most important ones.

You can get all these from TFTestkits.net

Since your pool is a salt water pool, I would also recommend the Taylor's K-1766 Salt Test Kit to go along with that TF-100.

Neat news out recently is that the TF-100 will also include a small bottle of CYA standard reagent (known 50ppm) so it will help you learn how to do that test. That one is considered the most subjective, yet it is also one of the most important ones.

I looked at that one myself.But,reading about the mess it can cause decided to use the sticks on mine.No problem and the sticks are close to what the SWS is reading to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I looked at that one myself.But,reading about the mess it can cause decided to use the sticks on mine.No problem and the sticks are close to what the SWS is reading to.

Really? I'm confused as to what "mess" you're referring to? I tried sticks at the same time as my drop test and found the sticks inaccurate.

Really? I'm confused as to what "mess" you're referring to? I tried sticks at the same time as my drop test and found the sticks inaccurate.
The solution will stain your hand's.Read where it was suggested to wear gloves when doing test.Just what I read.Reason for not buying.Plus,the cost.Just like the speed stir that I have.Just don't see it for the cost.

The solution will stain your hand's.Read where it was suggested to wear gloves when doing test.Just what I read.Reason for not buying.Plus,the cost.Just like the speed stir that I have.Just don't see it for the cost.

If you're getting the solution on your hands, you're doing the testing wrong. I've never once had it on my skin. No one has ever mentioned this problem before so I'm baffled.

I'm glad you're happy with your test strips. I was not, so wanted to mention the drop based test. Its all good! :bball:

If you're getting the solution on your hands, you're doing the testing wrong. I've never once had it on my skin. No one has ever mentioned this problem before so I'm baffled.

I'm glad you're happy with your test strips. I was not, so wanted to mention the drop based test. Its all good! :bball:
Did my research on this forum and comparing drop test to stick's.Its all good.For new visitors to the forum it is very over whelming the money you can spend on test kits and extra things.

i ordered mine about a week ago and it didn't have it. Must be really new.

Anyway, OP- I'm new on here as you can tell by my posts.
The speed stir is totally worth it.
I have already saved money this year just opening the pool by following TFP guidance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.