New Pool Owner - What Do I Have Here?

jdmurphy

Mar 25, 2019
Yalesville, CT
I'm a first time pool owner. I'll be opening the pool at our new house shortly. I'm sure I'll be able to answer this question once I get the cover completely off and can investigate. However, I'm curious to know what I'm working with as a prepare to update the equipment pad, clean up the existing fittings on the filter and pump, and plumb in the SWG I just bought. This is a 14,000 octagon in-ground with a vinyl liner.

These three pipes (photo) are coming out of the ground, Of course at least one will be the return. I have located one skimmer on the pool deck. I'm wondering what the third line might be. The previous owner left all of the associated equipment for the filter and pump for me, but I don't see any sort of diverter valve that I assume might be necessary if there were a second skimmer or drain. I also considered that it might be a dedicated vacuum port, but I should also have some sort of valve for the suction side, no?

Thanks

Attachments

• 3 pipes.jpg
    3 pipes.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 62
  • closed pool.jpg
    closed pool.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 60
JD,
Welcome to TFP! And neat looking pool! I see you've been on here for a month so you may have already gone to Pool School. If not, please do as soon as you can. Ask any questions this prompts. Also, if you don't have a TF 100 test kit order one asap. You'll need it before you can use the TFP method.

This site is dedicated to provide people like you and me learn how to care for their pool using TFP methodology. We also have experts in everything pool related. What we don't do is sell anything so you can be assured the advice is all unbiased. Experts will chime in soon on your question but I'd say you have a suction and discharge from that connect to the pump plus a suction cleaner. Can you please provide photos with a wider view or photos of the rest of the equipment? There should definitely be several valves. Did the previous owner have the pool operative last year? Do you know if it was manual, timer, or automated control? The more information you can provide the better and quicker expert advice will be back to you.

The salt cell can go a couple of places in the water flow. Most experts seem to prefer downstream of the heater after a check valve and before the return splits if you have a spa.

Chris

Thanks for the replies. The only other piece of equipment currently outside is the Hayward filter. Disconnected. I did the recommended "deep clean" last weekend. The Pentair pump was disconnected and put in the basement. All that remains are the three unmarked pipes sticking out of the ground. Even after visually identifying what's in the pool I figured I'd blow a little compressed air down the lines to find out what goes to what.

The pool was operational last year. It looked great based upon the real estate photos. The equipment area is a little unkept and that's what I'm doing now. Including planning out the new plumbing to accommodate the SWG.

It looks like the previous owner used a heavy duty electronic timer outside for the pump. There's an old mechanical timer wired in the house at the panel. Because I need to run the pump and SWG on a timer, I bought a new Intermatic T101R and will move it outside near the pad for convenience.

They left me a Pool Blaster battery operated, self-contained vacuum. So perhaps they used that and didn't bother with the dedicated suction vacuum port and that's why there is no valve in place.

JD,

You adder of an Intermatic timer is probably a good improvement. You'll also need to power the SWG on this circuit. Can you please add some more photos of the equipment pad, power supply for the timer etc. It will help our experts offer advice quickly.

Chris

I have an extra hose by my equipment, and it's for the sump line that sits below the pool connected to drain tile. I've never used it, because I've never had water below the pool that makes the liner float, but the installers in my part of the country do it as a safeguard...

I wonder if hose 3 is a waste line for the backwash water. Run the garden hose down it when things are happening and see if you find water coming out in a planter or a drainage ditch or out by the curb. Somewhere downhill.

I certainly will look for this. Especially if I don't find three functions in the pool after I take the cover off. I'm being overly curious and want to start laying out the plumbing. I just need to get the cover off and take a look in the pool. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.