New pool owner - Two pumps dead in one week

spacerobot

Aug 1, 2019
New York State
I just got a 24' above ground pool installed. I have an electric heat pump and a salt water system. The electrician came saturday and trenched all the electrical to where the pump and heater are. At the end of the day he turned the power on and the pump started up, ran for about 5-10 minutes then quit with water spraying from the middle of the pump casing. We closed the shut off valves, and the next day the install company came with another pump. That was on Sunday. It is now Thursday and the electrical inspector came today. He looked things over, and wanted to check the breakers in the garage that were added. He said everything looks good, flipped the pump breaker off then on, and left. I went out into the backyard and oh my god. The pump is dead with water spraying from the casing.

I called the pool company, and they sent someone with another pump. They said this is really strange. They checked the system out and said they can't find anything wrong. He said it must be another defective pump.

Does anyone have any experience with this? What does this sound like could be happening? It almost seems that when powered on via the breaker something happens and blows the seal inside the pump. I am now worried that there is an issue that is going to continue happening.

What should I do?

EDIT: Pic of the pump leaking. Not sure about the 120 or 220.

Attachments

• poolpump.jpg
    poolpump.jpg
    729.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

What pump model is it?
Add pictures of the pump and where the water is spraying out.

Turning the pump off and on should not be capable of blowing out a seal in the pump.

The water leak location would appear to be a huge shaft seal failure which would be very surprising. You would have to open things up to confirm. The pump wasn't run dry for a significant amount of time was it?

The water leak location would appear to be a huge shaft seal failure which would be very surprising. You would have to open things up to confirm. The pump wasn't run dry for a significant amount of time was it?

That is what the company told me. That it was a seal failure. They said that they haven't had any this summer and it is strange this is two in a row for me. The pump was not run dry. The first pump was just turned on for the first time and failed minutes later. I have it on a timer now. The new pump goes on at 4:00PM and off at midnight. It ran for about a half hour before the electrical inspector came. He toggled the breaker and when I walked out in the backyard it was spraying water.

Maybe a blockage in the inlet?

The company is going to have to keep bringing out new pumps until they figure out what the problem is and find a pump that will run for more than an hour without exploding.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.