Barrie, ON, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
So our pool was installed, and started up a month ago. Builder dumped in some chlorine, and salt, and left us to our own devices.

Things have been going pretty well, you can view my Pool Math logs in my profile.

I've been trying to decide if it's better to run the pump longer with a lower SWG output, or shorter pump time with higher SWG.

I settled on 8 AM to 8 PM pump run at 1750 RPM. I had my SWG running at 65% for 12 hours / day. I went away for a couple days while my wife and kids stayed home and used the pool. Yesterday FC was around 0.5. I added bleach to increase FC to 5, and last night (pump off, dark out) FC was 6.0. This morning at 8 AM, FC was 4.0 (pump still off), but sunrise was around 0530 here.

According to Pool Math, at 12 hours / 75% I should be producing 6.3 ppm FC. Is the problem that my pump is starting too late / stopping too early? i.e. there's still UV exposure while the SWG is not running?

Starting today, I have changed pump run time from 6 AM to 9 PM at 45%, Pool Math says this should increase FC by 4.7 / day.

Old: 70% / 12 hours = Raise FC by 5.9 -> FC was almost nothing after three-four days. But there was also 3-5 hours of UV exposure with no SWG every day?
New: 45% / 15 hours = Raise FC by 4.7, but SWG running while the sun's out.

It's an IC40 on a 10,000 USG pool, so there should be lots of capacity. Approx 300 sq ft of surface area.

CC is consistently 0.0-0.5. OCLT last night was 2 FC, but with 2.5-3 hours of sunlight before the morning check. Water is clear.

Thanks!

It only matters how much FC is added to the pool, not when it is added.

If you have a OCLT FC loss of 2 ppm, I believe you should follow the SLAM Process. Something other than UV is consuming your chlorine.

I'll try again tonight I suppose, drag my butt out of bed early enough. :)

Generally speaking, for the life of a cell, does it make any difference to run higher percentage, but less time, or lower percentage, for longer run time?

SWCG have a finite number of generating hours. So the cell does not care if run at 10% for 10 hours or 100% for 1 hour.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.