New Pool Owner - Ran my first test

henrym28

Jul 10, 2022
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hello all!

My IG pool was finished on 6/27. The pool builder handled maintenance up until last week and is handing it over to me now.
I ran my first test yesterday using the TF-100 kit. Here's what I got below. Any tips are greatly appreciated on next steps as I am a complete newbie here.

PH = Shade looks to be between 7.8 and 8.2
FC = 3.5
CC = 0.5
CYA = 55
CH = 225
TA = 80

Couple questions.
1) I noticed TC is not in the TFP pool app, only FC. So do I just input the FC of 3.5 into the app or do I add the CC to it and input 4.0 into the FC category of the app?
2. In the TFP app, if I buy liquid chlorine, do I keep it set to "Bleach" as my sanitizer at 6% bleach chlorine?

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Hey there... congrats on getting a great test kit.
-First off- where is the TA? I don't see where you've listed your Alkalinity read? That has a LOT to do with your pH.
-As to your pH, from here it looks like 8.0-8.2.... before you go adding acid get me that Alkalinity number, please.
-Your CYA is 60, because the the scale is logarithmic and not linear. That means the the difference between numbers is not the same, its can be a lot more or even a lot less. You can see this when you look at the CYA tube- the numbers aren't spaced evenly. So anything above 50 (you read it as 55) is considered 60.
-Are you in a birdcage? Pools often lose a bit less chlorine if the screens block out UV.
-Use the CYA/FC chart for your guide on how high to keep your FC with a CYA of 60 FC/CYA Levels
- We don't bother with "Total Chlorine" (TC) results since we want to know exactly the FC and the CC.
-Yes, the "bleach" setting is what you use for Liquid Chlorine. Its not easy to change the app I guess, from when we all used to be able to get good bleach. :(

Any more questions, just ask :)

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: henrym28
Hello all!

My IG pool was finished on 6/27. The pool builder handled maintenance up until last week and is handing it over to me now.
I ran my first test yesterday using the TF-100 kit. Here's what I got below. Any tips are greatly appreciated on next steps as I am a complete newbie here.

PH = Shade looks to be between 7.8 and 8.2
FC = 3.5
CC = 0.5
CYA = 55
CH = 225

Couple questions.
1) I noticed TC is not in the TFP pool app, only FC. So do I just input the FC of 3.5 into the app or do I add the CC to it and input 4.0 into the FC category of the app?
2. In the TFP app, if I buy liquid chlorine, do I keep it set to "Bleach" as my sanitizer at 6% bleach chlorine?

View attachment 439514
The chlorine test you show in the picture is just for a quick test to determine if you have chlorine. You need to use the FAS/DPD test in the TF100 kit to properly test for FC. That is the powder to turn pink and the drops to count FC level. Please refer to the instructions.
This is your FC level and then you also test for CC after that.

Yes. Bleach is liquid chlorine.

Also, CYA is only recorded in decade numbers - so your CYA would be 60ppm

Hey there... congrats on getting a great test kit.
-First off- where is the TA? I don't see where you've listed your Alkalinity read? That has a LOT to do with your pH.
-As to your pH, from here it looks like 8.0-8.2.... before you go adding acid get me that Alkalinity number, please.
-Your CYA is 60, because the the scale is logarithmic and not linear. That means the the difference between numbers is not the same, its can be a lot more or even a lot less. You can see this when you look at the CYA tube- the numbers aren't spaced evenly. So anything above 50 (you read it as 55) is considered 60.
-Are you in a birdcage? Pools often lose a bit less chlorine if the screens block out UV.
-Use the CYA/FC chart for your guide on how high to keep your FC with a CYA of 60 FC/CYA Levels
- We don't bother with "Total Chlorine" (TC) results since we want to know exactly the FC and the CC.
-Yes, the "bleach" setting is what you use for Liquid Chlorine. Its not easy to change the app I guess, from when we all used to be able to get good bleach. :(

Any more questions, just ask :)

Thanks for the info Maddie! Sorry I omitted the TA test from my post by mistake. Just edited and added TA = 80.
No birdcage or covering.
Good to know on the CYA test log scale.
Do the same oz the app gives for bleach also apply to chlorine?

Do the same oz the app gives for bleach also apply to chlorine?
Bleach = Liquid Chlorine = Sodium Hypochlorite
You can change the % to whatever you have, 6%, 10%, 7.5%, 12.5%. You just need to know the concentration you have and enter that into the app.

Then add the oz's suggested to your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have big quart size hospital cups that come with ounces/mL measurements they give patients and use them for large applications of MA.
Go break a bone or something and get a hold of one of them. :laughblue:

Pour chemical in thin stream into a flow of returning water at a return. I like to brush the area also just to be safe none of it is sitting low in a pile if its heavier than water (which MA is).

Do you like to cook? After a while you can guesstimate cups, half cups etc. You should be able to do just that with your pool chemicals. I never measure and it's always close enough!

@Kellyp LOL, I agree with cooking...I'll be making dinner and throw an ingredient in like, "eh, close enough, recipe is forgiving." But pool chemicals....gotta be exact :)

Confused Thinking GIF

• Haha
Reactions: HermanTX and Kellyp
I added chlorine yesterday with muriatic acid. My FC is still at 4.5. Can I add chlorine on consecutive days?
Also, when doing the CYA test at waist level...do you want the black dot to "completely disappear? I can sometime still see a hint of it so should I keep adding liquid until it's fully gone when looking at my waist level?

Thank you!

Also, when doing the CYA test at waist level...do you want the black dot to "completely disappear? I can sometime still see a hint of it so should I keep adding liquid until it's fully gone when looking at my waist level?
I would not consider “a hint of it” as seeing the dot because your eyes can play tricks on you. So go to the next higher CYA value.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.