New Pool Owner - Pebble Sheen Question (Dirt not brushing off)

DRFAZ

Dec 2, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Hi All,

New pool owner here located in Phoenix, AZ. I just had my pool completed (pebble sheen finish). The yard around the pool was unfinished and dirt during construction, after filling the pool it I have dirt that I cannot brush off the some areas of the pebble finish....

Is there an easy way to get this off? I am just using a basic pool brush that came with the pool, don't know if I need a different brush or to use some chemicals?

See attached pictures (the pool step has the most build up).

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_3825.jpg
    IMG_3825.jpg
    498.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3824.jpg
    IMG_3824.jpg
    643.4 KB · Views: 85
Welcome to the forum!
Dirt does not stain. It appears more like a metal stain. Iron would be odd and if the pool is new there should not be any copper.
First is to get some Vitamin C tablets, put a handfull in a thin sock, crush them up a bit and put on the step to see if the stain either disappears or gets darker.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Hi All,

New pool owner here located in Phoenix, AZ. I just had my pool completed (pebble sheen finish). The yard around the pool was unfinished and dirt during construction, after filling the pool it I have dirt that I cannot brush off the some areas of the pebble finish....

Is there an easy way to get this off? I am just using a basic pool brush that came with the pool, don't know if I need a different brush or to use some chemicals?

See attached pictures (the pool step has the most build up).

Thanks!!
I had a similar issue (but not to that extent) after some construction to my patio. There were dirt streaks that would not come off with my pool brush. With a stiff bristle brush and some elbow grease they came off. I used one like this: https://www.amazon.com/Amazer-Comfo...iff+bristle+scrub+brush&qid=1638542144&sr=8-5

Welcome to the forum!
Dirt does not stain. It appears more like a metal stain. Iron would be odd and if the pool is new there should not be any copper.
First is to get some Vitamin C tablets, put a handfull in a thin sock, crush them up a bit and put on the step to see if the stain either disappears or gets darker.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Do I need to scrub the ledge? Or just let the vitamin C sit on the ledge in a thin sock?

Yeah the pool is brand new, finish is pebble sheen. If it is new and just filled in the last couple of months what would cause the metal stain?

Thanks!!

I had a similar issue (but not to that extent) after some construction to my patio. There were dirt streaks that would not come off with my pool brush. With a stiff bristle brush and some elbow grease they came off. I used one like this: https://www.amazon.com/Amazer-Comfo...iff+bristle+scrub+brush&qid=1638542144&sr=8-5
Thanks for the suggestion! I will try to scrub it with a brush that is a little stiffer. Did not know if that would affect the pebble tec finish...

Do I need to scrub the ledge? Or just let the vitamin C sit on the ledge in a thin sock?
Just let the sock with vitamin C sit on the ledge for a few minutes.

It would be odd in Phoenix to have iron staining that quick. But it is a cheap test to rule out that possibility.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.