New Pool Owner - Opinions on my equipment and piping set-up

briggss3

Mar 14, 2024
Lake Jackson, Texas
Hi everyone. I put what I could in my bio. Just bought this house and moving in soon. During my final inspection, I snapped some pictures and I have some questions on if this set-up needs any attention, or if its good to go. I have never owned a pool so I don't know what I am looking at here. I will convert the pool to a R60 SWG right out of the gate, so I know there needs to be some interlocks on the SWG so it does not generate when the pump is off.

Question 1 - There is a push button switch that turns the pool pump on-off. The pool is also on a timer. Why would I need a start-stop switch - is that for long-term pump closure....or in case there is a need to do wiring work (which should be isolated at the breaker). Also, are these INTERMATIC manual timers in need of an upgrade or are they still good - looks cheap compred to all of the other pools we looked at house hunting?

The one on the left is the pool, the right is the waterfall pump. Push the button and the pool pump turns on.
20240409_092612.jpg

This is the INTERMATIC switch.
20240409_092433.jpg

This is the sand filter. The label is worn off so I have no idea what model # or size it is or if its in need of service. Only thing I know is its Max 125 GPH. I was just planning on back flushing it and leaving it be.
20240409_092335.jpg20240409_092456.jpg20240409_092502.jpg

This is the pool pump - Centruy 1081 1.5HP
20240409_092350.jpg

Waterfall pump - Pentair Dynamo 1.0HP
20240409_092443.jpg

Not sure what this riser is coming from the ground at the waterfall pump. Expansion?
1712980880575.png

Question 1 - What is this little pipe going to?
Question 2 - I assume this is some sort of sa manifold for cleaning - automatic jets?
Question 3 - I think this is the right plaxce to put the SWG. right?
1712981303006.png

20240409_092317.jpg

I am sure I will figure it out with or without help - but hopeful You all can lemme know if anything in this system is worthy of upgrading. As far as I know, everything works as is.

Briggs,

You have two pumps.. So in you need two switches to turn them on..

The pump, by the capped off line, is most likely a water feature pump, like a waterfall or ???

Your #2 is an In-Floor-Cleaning-System (IFCS) manifold that sends water to pop up heads in the pool that in theory clean it..

Your #1 and #3 could be a number of things, depending on how it is plumbed. My guess is that one of them sends water to your skimmer. A lot of pools with IFCS systems have special skimmers. The system sends return water to them to cause a venturi action that is supposed to help with skimming. A lot more marketing than actual action...

Your location for the SWCG is correct, but I have no idea if it will fit or not.

Like most older pools, I am sure it has gone through changes over the years.. I would assume the capped off pipe, is just not used any more, I doubt it was put in as any kind of 'spare'.

Thanks,

Jim R.