New pool owner! Need some guidance please!

trafficdoc

Jun 13, 2021
Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
We live in Florida and just built a 10,000 gallon inground pool with PebbleTec interior. We have Pentair VSF pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus filter and Pentair Rainbow 320 inline chlorinator.

1-When we need to add chemicals to the pool (liquid muriatic acid, liquid chlorine, etc) do you brush the pool walls/floor BEFORE or AFTER adding the chemicals? My common sense tells me afterwards so nothing settles to the floor. However, I could've sworn I read somewhere to brush PRIOR in order to loosen any algae growth if present for it to come in contact with the chemicals. So I am not sure which is the correct way to do this.

2-If we go away for a week, are there any special considerations that we need to be aware of? Our stabilizer level is around 40. If our chlorine level is around 5 ppm before we leave and since we have the inline chlorinator in operation, is that good enough or is there something more we should do?

Thanks for the help!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: For your questions:

Q1 - Doesn't really matter. If you have poor return jet pressure, you might brush the area after poring a chemical in. My pool maintenance (brushing) isn't something I necessarily do at the same time as chemicals.
Q2 - Ideally, when you leave have someone add some liquid chlorine every other day or so. If that's not possible, you can increase the FC to SLAM level (based on your current CYA) as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. If you have a FL room enclosure, that certainly helps. If none of those are an option, using tabs in your inline chlorinator is fine since your CYA appears to be very manageable.

Reactions: trafficdoc
Welcome to TFP! :wave: For your questions:

Q1 - Doesn't really matter. If you have poor return jet pressure, you might brush the area after poring a chemical in. My pool maintenance (brushing) isn't something I necessarily do at the same time as chemicals.
Q2 - Ideally, when you leave have someone add some liquid chlorine every other day or so. If that's not possible, you can increase the FC to SLAM level (based on your current CYA) as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. If you have a FL room enclosure, that certainly helps. If none of those are an option, using tabs in your inline chlorinator is fine since your CYA appears to be very manageable.

Thank you for your response. We have a screen enclosure around our pool area. We would not have the ability to have someone add liquid chlorine every other day, unfortunately.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.