New pool owner. Need help. Sanity weighs in the balance!!!!

Jun 3, 2017
Jacksonville, Fl
Hi there,

help, please! I did my research and prep work for my pool. I dug up the sod, roots, etc., and leveled my ground myself, got my 6"x6"x2" patio stones, HD tarps to supplement the ground tarp included with the pool, and mason sand. Before and after I laid out the sand I treated the area with weed killer and insecticide. It rained before I put the sand down so when I laid it out it was good and moist. (YouTube pool set up video advised it would help compact the sand better.) I tampered it down good with a lawn roller. Then it rained again and I found out it's supposed to rain everyday this week, 50/60%. Is it logical to finish the set up on the damp tampered mason sand or should I be waiting until the sand dries out (sunny days) to finish the set up?

I've been working on this project since the latter part of May due to the weather. I'm a single mother, on my own, trying to set up this pool as a gift to/for my soon to be 6 yr old autistic son's birthday next weekend. I'm weak and weary, my eyes are red, and my heart is completely in my stomach, actually it's in my ankles, at the notion that all my prep time, hard work, and money is literally about to or could be washed away. Please tell me there's still a bit of hope. Thanks, in advance, for your time and suggestions.

Blu

Can you use the tarp to cover your sand during this rainy week? It sounds like you have a great handle on how to do this
.... any adult helpers available to help you get it up?? ASK! Don't wear yourself out rushing or something can go wrong. A neighbor perhaps? Co-worker?

Please don't be Blue, Blu.... it will be a wonderful surprise for your son and you will be able to enjoy it for months to come. Please make sure we get a pic of your baby boy in the pool when its all done, 'k?? My grandson is on the spectrum and I know how hard it can feel some days.

Maddie :flower:

Mrs Maddie,

I considered putting the tarp down but got pulled away by Little Boy Blu and our dogs, two rambunctious 1 and 1 1/2 year old Pitbull pups, one of which I'm having to get prepped for heartworm treatment. By the time I settled them down and remembered it was raining already. My neighbors are well up there in age and I'm home with my son right now. Everyone's at work or some other reasoning. I feel like the Little Red Hen, in a sense. I asked the first time with everything going on and my "helpers" took over my project, not listening to a word I said about the leveling and slope, etc. Now, I'm no rocket scientist nor the world's best architect but I over excelled at math, geometry, and architectural design in High school years, so I know a little something. Needless to say, they fudged it up. The pool was lopsided and off level by about 4", which I was very uncomfortable with, so I had to take it down and start over. I'll post pics when it's done. This is a big project but he deserves it so much. I'm gonna tarp it anyway and pray that we get enough sun on Sunday to finish up.... before it rains AGAIN.

P.S. Thanks for understanding. I'm glad you know where I'm coming from with the Spectrum.

The mathematical inclination may be hereditary seeing as though Little Blu was doing 2nd grade math in kindergarten this past year and when he plays he constructs/manipulates everything to position or sit at almost perfect 90 degree angles. ?

Blu

Last edited:
Can you use the tarp to cover your sand during this rainy week? It sounds like you have a great handle on how to do this
.... any adult helpers available to help you get it up?? ASK! Don't wear yourself out rushing or something can go wrong. A neighbor perhaps? Co-worker?

Please don't be Blue, Blu.... it will be a wonderful surprise for your son and you will be able to enjoy it for months to come. Please make sure we get a pic of your baby boy in the pool when its all done, 'k?? My grandson is on the spectrum and I know how hard it can feel some days.

Maddie :flower:

Hi Mrs. YippySkippy,

I just learned how to respond directly to you. Color me green.�� Original response below. I made it through setting up the pool. I'll post pics in a few.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't have any experience to help you with your question, but I do want to tell you I think you are an awesome mom. Rockstar!

Hi Mr John,
Thank you much for your encouragement. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.