New Pool Owner. Mountain of Questions

Mar 13, 2017
Fallston, MD
Hey Guys, new pool owner here and new member of the forum. I'm buying a house in Fallston, MD and I have some questions.

The previous owners of the house took the pool chemical system with them but left the pump. I'm intrigued by salt water systems. Whats a great DIY salt water system for a 20k gallon pool? What all would I need to buy?

My other main question is where to source the water for the pool. I'm told that the pool has been drained all the way down so im weighing the pluses and minuses of trucking in the water or using my well.

If my well pressure is around 10 gph, is this enough to fill the pool without totally trashing the pump?

If I go the trucking in route, what can I expect to pay, worst case?

I know its a lot but any answers I can get would be greatly appreciated!

Here is comes..............it depends (man I hate when people say that :roll:). Each area is so different. My well is on a wonderful Florida underground stream that is wide and deep. I knew I could fill without over tasking it so I did. If you are unsure of your well's water source then ask your new neighbors what they think.

I would also see if there are any metals in your well water. This is the only test we even think about having done at the pool store as the DIY tests are costly so.........just don't buy anything they try to sell you LOL

Cost of trucked in water. I have seen as high as $500 a truck down to $300 a truck. You will have to call around your area and see what they say.

Kim:kim:

I second the notion that you won't hurt the well pump. Advice I've gotten from my well driller and pump guy is to open two spigots all the way if you have that option as the goal is to keep the pump running constantly and not cycling on and off.

Agreed with what others said. The concerns are the metals and water supply.

I would not fill from your well. We have been running a rainfall deficit for the last few months. If we don't have a wet spring, then have a dry summer, you will not have done yourself any favors. Just my cautious mind. Pay for trucks that will get you Baltimore City water (probably treated out of Loch Raven) which is good and guaranteed free of metals. It'll cost you but it's a one time thing. Each spring I let the pool refill after pumping once in mid winter to keep the water below the tile. Then I'm just topping off the last bit with my well.

Our original fill trucks were $250 each for 7,000 gallons I believe (Baltimore City water - Liberty Reservoir for us). Three trucks and the rest by our well.

If my well pressure is around 10 gph, is this enough to fill the pool without totally trashing the pump?
Well, I think that is a typo but if your well produces 10 gph, you will be sucking nothing but air and muck within about an hour.

I think you mean 10 gpm, which is a decent well but not enough to trust refilling with......at least not in one continuous flow.

A spigot full open usually draws about 10 gpm (I think) so you would be withdrawing water as fast as your well can replace it......too risky.

Get your well tested for iron and then, if it is iron free, consider several "sessions" to get your pool full.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.