New Pool Owner lost in the sauce!!

Maddawglyfe

Jul 17, 2020
Raleigh, NC
Hi everyone I found this forum through googling and found that a lot of people was recommending people this way. I purchased a Radiant 24ft metric with the permasalt system and 2 speed pump/sand filter. My 24ft got lost or stuck at the boarder somewhere so, they upgraded me to a 33ft for free yay. I finally got it filled today but, I didn't get much info from the store i got it from. They gave me 2 bags of salt and a box of shock (RE-FRESH) Here is the steps that I've done so far.
1 X bag of salt 40lbs
1 X 1lb bag of Re-Fresh
Ran the sand filter on circulate for 4 hours
After 4 hours I flipped the filter to filter

I called the store and asked them how long to wait before getting in and they said after the 4 hours of circulation it's good to go

I used one of the Aquachek testers and the
total Alkalinity was in the ok range of 40-80 closer to the 40 color.
PH was in the ok range of 7.2-7.8
Copper ION was about 0.2 no more than 0.4

I then used the PH,Chlorine and Bromine test with the yellow and red sides
PH again tested good after 4 drops of the solution
CL test was clear enough to mistake for drinking water but, it should have been a shade of yellow

Should I put in more shock and the second bag of salt? Oh and since being here it seems like the Permasalt system has about a 30/70 love hate going on. But as this is the first season i won't look to replace it first thing. Maybe next year. I'm trying to get the family in the pool before season is over

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Add whatever amohttps://tftestkits.netunt of salt you need as required for that system and raise yur FC (free chlorine at least initially) with plain old bleach. Please consider ordering the Tf100 test kit from TFTestkits.net You didn't list any level for your CYA. Have you added any? Also called stabilizer.

Last edited:
Hi everyone I found this forum through googling and found that a lot of people was recommending people this way. I purchased a Radiant 24ft metric with the permasalt system and 2 speed pump/sand filter. My 24ft got lost or stuck at the boarder somewhere so, they upgraded me to a 33ft for free yay. I finally got it filled today but, I didn't get much info from the store i got it from. They gave me 2 bags of salt and a box of shock (RE-FRESH) Here is the steps that I've done so far.
1 X bag of salt 40lbs
1 X 1lb bag of Re-Fresh
Ran the sand filter on circulate for 4 hours
After 4 hours I flipped the filter to filter

I called the store and asked them how long to wait before getting in and they said after the 4 hours of circulation it's good to go

I used one of the Aquachek testers and the
total Alkalinity was in the ok range of 40-80 closer to the 40 color.
PH was in the ok range of 7.2-7.8

CL test was clear enough to mistake for drinking water but, it should have been a shade of yellow

Should I put in more shock and the second bag of salt? Oh and since being here it seems like the Permasalt system has about a 30/70 love hate going on. But as this is the first season i won't look to replace it first thing. Maybe next year. I'm trying to get the family in the pool before season is over
Will,be more educated people on here later .I can say you really need to educate yourself in Pool School .This Site will teach you to stay away from the pool stores by using general household goods.You definally going to need a lot more salt for sure.You really need to start getting some non scented bleach or liquid chlorine going in your water asap .

Hey again mad dog. Do a search for your perma salt system. You are going to want to ditch it and just treat the pool regularly.

Welcome to the forum. Add whatever amohttps://tftestkits.netunt of salt you need as required for that system and raise yur FC (free chlorine at least initially) with plain old bleach. Please consider ordering the Tf100 test kit from TFTestkits.net You didn't list any level for your CYA. Have you added any? Also called stabilizer.
No CYA just the stuff I listed in those amounts

CYA /cyanuric acid/ stabilizer slows down the sun from burning off all your chlorine. Without any CYA the FC would be gone in something like 30 minutes. We use the FC/CYA Levels to show the relationship of the two and where the FC needs to be based on the CYA level. The CYA test included in the TF-100 is arguably the most important test you will do and it needs to be accurate more than the others. The pool store test for CYA is one of their most inaccurate tests and they usually dont understand it or believe its as important as it is.

CYA does not come in any water, you have to add it. If you haven't added any you can go ahead and add 30ppm per pool math. They have it in the pool section at walmart/ HD/ Lowes and some hardware stores. It will usually be called stabilizer and as long as its 100% cyanuric acid, its the right stuff. Fill a sock with your amount (tied off) and hang it in front of the pool return (jet). Let it soak and squeeze it every once in a while to disperse it. I let mine go until the next day and then its mush and squeezes out in a minute or 2.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Please read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and take a browse through Pool School so you can get a good grounding in the TFP method of pool care. Ditch those guess strips ASAP and get either the TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit, links below in my signature. You need a good, reliable test kit to properly care for your pool.

Oh, and stay out of the pool store! Everything you need is available at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, or Lowe's.

Reactions: Maddawglyfe
ordered a 24 ft and got a 33ft for free yay. I finally got it filled today...... Here is the steps that I've done so far.
1 X bag of salt 40lbs
1 X 1lb bag of Re-Fresh

Congratulations on the new pool. The Metric pools are very nice IMO. Exciting times for sure.
That said, I need to offer some information. I won't call it bad news because you are only on day 1.
The 1 lb of Re-Fresh is calcium hypochlorite. that 1 lb going into your 25k gallon pool will only raise chlorine level to 3ppm. Since you haven't added any CYA yet, that chlorine was probably gone within an hour and why you could barely see any yellow on the test. The yellow side of the tester is an OTO type of chlorine test. The red side is for pH. Bromine isn't applicable since you don't have Bromine in the pool. Use 5 drops and you may see a better color, but that OTO tester is difficult. Holding up to the sky as a background can help.
I highly recommend getting the TF-100 test kit from TFTestkits. Don't let sticker shock set in, it really is worth every penny. Try not to base your decisions on price since the TF-100 is a much better value than the Taylor K-2006c or less expensive kits. Consider it an investment into your pool that will end up saving you money in the long run.
The test strips are notoriously inaccurate. Your strip gave the Copper ION about 0.2 ppm concentration when in reality it was very near Zero since the Permasalt was only running for a very short time. I hate to say it, but you really don't want to add copper to your pool. there is little benefit and a some significant drawbacks. You don't need to replace it, just stop using it. You can simply use liquid chlorine / bleach to keep the pool sanitary.

You need to add enough CYA to get to 40ppm. In your 25k gallon pool that is about 8.5 lbs. Start with 6 lbs and see where you are at.
Add enough liquid bleach to get FC to 3ppm. Then the next day follow the FC/CYA Levels using a CYA of 40ppm to get the needed FC values. PoolMath is a great tool to help you calculate how much of each chemical you need to use.

OK, what questions do you have???

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.