New pool owner in Phoenix

tpgolf

Sep 8, 2012
Hi,

My daughter recently purchased a home with a 13,000 gal Pebble Tec pool.
I've been a faithful follower of the TFP method for years with great success and since I haven't encountered her issues I'm not 100% sure on giving advice to help her get the pool TFP'd.
The pool "looks' great
The previous owner used the tabs for many years and never drained the pool. She stopped using the tablets and has been adding a gallon and half of liquid chlorine every week now and by the end of the week the level is almost zero.
Current readings:
FC - .05
CC - 0
pH - 7.2
TA - 110. It was 130 three weeks ago but I've had her lower the pH to 7.0 and then aerate
Hardness - 644
CYA - 100

It's getting hot here now so, I believe, she'll have to wait to drain the pool until the end of the year.
My question is what should she focus on for the rest of the summer? Is lowering the TA more important than raising the pH?
Will she be adding a lot of chlorine the rest of the season? Should she just keep using the tablets to help with the chlorine?

Thanks and appreciate all the feedback,
Joe

Have you done a dilute CYA test to see how high the CYA is?
100 is the limit of the CYA test, so you have to do a diluted test. Mix 50% pool water with 50% tap water. Use this mixed sample as your test water. Multiply the result by 2 for your CYA level.
We can explain a water exchange process that eliminates the risk of draining. Let us know what the real CYA is and we can post that process.

Hi TopGolf, welcome to TFP.

I suspect with the prior owners not draining the pool, and using pucks, your CYA is going to be way north of 100.
Now, luckily you have a couple of opportunities this week to drain and refill. Monday and Wednesday of this coming week, the temps are going to be in the mid 70’s. At 13k gallons, using a rented pump from Home Depot, that pool could be empty in about 6 hours. (Depending on how far a hose run you have)
If that were my pool, that’s the course I would go after. Complete drain/refill in one day, start the season with fresh water and TFP methods, and it’s shaping up to be a good summer! :cheers:

Another reason to drain now instead of wait for fall: Your water rates are based on your average usage per month from Oct-Apr. At least that’s the way it’s been everywhere I’ve lived in the valley (Scottsdale and now Mesa.)

Hi Guys,

Appreciate the quick reply. I think they are going to replace the water and start fresh.
They are checking with the HOA on where they can discharge the water. Her next door neighbor is the "throw you under the bus if you break a rule" guy.
They are also calling Home Depot to rent a pump.
I ran out of the R-0013 reagent and will get more tomorrow to see what it really is. If it doesn't work out what is the water exchange process?

Thanks again,
Joe

You can exchange some water without draining.

If you place a low volume sub pump in the deep end and pull water from there while adding water in the shallow end (through a skimmer or into a bucket on a step so you lessen the water disturbance) you can do a fairly efficient exchange. That is assuming the water you are filling with is the same temperature or warmer than your pool water. If your fill water is much cooler than your pool water, then switch it. Add the water to the deep end (hose on bottom) and pull water from the top step.

The location of the pump and fill hose may change if you have salt water, high calcium, etc.
In my pool, with saltwater and high calcium when I drain, I put the pump in the deep end and hose in shallow end. The water in the pool weighs more per unit volume than the fill water from the hose.

Be sure to balance the water out and water in so the pool level stays the same. Also be sure your pool pump is disabled during this process. Once started do not stop until you have exchanged the amount of water you wish.

Typically you cannot use the high powered pump from Home Depot and put the effluent down the sewer cleanout as it is too high of a rate. With the exchange process, you can. Just something to consider.

Hi,
Appreciate the explanation on the exchange process and the Queen Creek link. I think their best bet is to follow the instructions from the Queen Creek document and dump in the storm drain at the street.

Thanks again to everyone and what a great forum this is,
Joe

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Rob,

They were able to dump the water onto their property. They do have the clean outs in front but you need to notify the Town in advance if you're going to do it.
This was a spur of the moment decision and luckily their property was able to handle the water. Next time they will definitely plan in advance and use the clean out.

Thanks for the response,
Joe

Reactions: Arizonarob
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.