New pool owner in need of some advise

98chrysler

Jul 29, 2019
DFW Texas
Howdy y'all, I just bought a house here in Texas and it came with a pool. I would like to maintain it myself as I am all about being self reliant. I do however have a few questions as this whole pool thing is very new to me. First off I have no clue how big this thing is. I know I need to measure it off, but how do you calculate for the slope. The deep end is quite deep, maybe 10-12' and it drops fairly quickly. Also I get a bit of anxiety just looking at the pump and equipment. Kinda looks like the cockpit of a DC3 or something. I would like to know how to control the system to be able to fill, drain, run the pump, clean the filter and be able to run the heater for the spa and not heat the entire pool. I also noticed that the main pump seems to run a lot. It has a Compool cp3400 control system and in auto mode the main pump runs all day. I was up there yesterday doing some work in the house and the pump never shut off. The little pump that runs the vacuum thing cycles on and off every couple of hours, but the main pump was on every time I checked. I did have an above ground small pool before that I was using test strips on, so I have the smallest amount of experience taking samples and adjusting the chemistry. I also ordered a Taylor K-2006c test kit, so I will be able to use that to take more detailed samples. In the meantime the previous owner had left a small kit I used to take a quick sample. It also appears to have some kind of an automatic chlorine system, and I'm really not sure how that works. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance.

Welcome to TFP! :)
I am not familiar with any of the equipment you show, but the experts should chime in soon about that. It would help them if you put the equipment list and model numbers in your signature, that way it shows up each time you post. Add the test kit model too. Check out a few signatures to get an idea. If you are on a phone, you will need to turn it sideways for the signature to show up.

Good choice on a test kit!

For starters on pool volume. I would measure the depth both ends and take an average. Same for length and width. Use that as a starting point. You can adjust the volume later when you start adding bleach or other chemicals. For example if pool math says 1 quart should change the CL level by xx, but the test results show it changed the level more than expected you know to adjust the volume downward. You won't be able to do this until you receive your good test kit.

Good luck!

Reactions: frogabog
Welcome to TFP! :)
I am not familiar with any of the equipment you show, but the experts should chime in soon about that. It would help them if you put the equipment list and model numbers in your signature, that way it shows up each time you post. Add the test kit model too. Check out a few signatures to get an idea. If you are on a phone, you will need to turn it sideways for the signature to show up.

Good choice on a test kit!

For starters on pool volume. I would measure the depth both ends and take an average. Same for length and width. Use that as a starting point. You can adjust the volume later when you start adding bleach or other chemicals. For example if pool math says 1 quart should change the CL level by xx, but the test results show it changed the level more than expected you know to adjust the volume downward. You won't be able to do this until you receive your good test kit.

Good luck!
Thanks, I updated the signature with the stuff I know. There are some things like the pump I have no idea what it is. All the decals and labels are gone. I had to replace the capacitor on the pump motor last week and I couldn't find info on it anywhere.

Reactions: Msch99
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.