New Pool Owner In need of Serious HELP.

I just called and they don't have any of the Taylor they have the Leslies Complete DPD kit, number 81330 and then the smaller kits. I guess for now get a HTH 2way while I'm at Menards getting Borax and then order the TF 100?

- - - Updated - - -

Or should I get one from Leslies instead of the HTH

Also while I'm out, I got the HTH 10% liquid chlorine and I've got about 2 gallons, will I be using liquid chlorine often and if so should I pick some up from Leslies while I'm out, it's about an hour away so I'd like to know now before I have to make another trip. Also I got the 3" jumbo trichlor stabalizing chlorine tabs from leslies, and an HTH floating dispenser thing from walmart, are those ok or should I get something else?

The HTH OTO is not as good as the Taylor brand. According to their website, it looks like Leslie's is using re-branded Taylor OTO test kits. You can tell by the comparator. If it looks just like this, it's Taylor:

18554.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

You can use liquid chlorine exclusively if you like. Many do. It doesn't add anything else to the pool. Tablets add stabilizer (CYA) so you can only use them so much before the CYA level gets too high (above 60) and reduces the effectiveness of the chlorine.

It sounds like you've got a grasp on the benefits and problems caused by CYA. That's a perfect plan.

Also, if you get the Taylor OTO test, you'll only need to get a TF-50 or you'll end up with two Taylor OTO tests.

You CAN use the tablets but as a new person to pools, I'd recommend keeping all chemicals simple as possible. That means I would add stabilizer (CYA) by adding pure CYA. Add chlorine with pure chlorine (bleach). That way nothing is confusing, there's less to keep track of. It clicks in my head better when starting out when everything is one thing, not 2-3 different things. Trichlor tablets add chlorine, add CYA and lower pH all at the same time. Manageable over short term but terrible for long term use and understanding what does what in your pool.

If you do use them, keep track of how many and base CYA on that to get you to your target. Then stop using and test CYA after that.

Just make sure you only use liquid chlorine / bleach for the SLAM process. Once you've completed that then you can use the tablets until the CYA level gets to 50 or so. You can even use PoolMath to figure out how many tablets is enough.

- - - Updated - - -

JVTrain has a great point about keeping it simple. I know there's the temptation to make use of what you've already bought, but there will be time for that in the future. The good news is tablets stay good for a long time if stored in a cool dry place. I still have some left over from a previous owner that I use over the winter and when I'm on vacation!

Luckily the guy forgot to ring up the tablets so I'm not to worried about that. But are you saying I only use the liquid chlorine to SLAM not to maintain, but then how do I maintain?

And yes the pool is slightly un level its about a 6 in slope. I know thats not good, but were gonna take it down for the winter and level it out next spring then just winterize every year after that.

I'm at leslies right now to get test kit, liquid chlorine and now probably liquid CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When you add the cya, put it in an old sock or nylon without holes and either put it in your skimmer or hang it in front of a return jet. It will take some time to dissolve. Squeeze the sock occasionally to help it along. Once you have a proper test kit to test for cya, wait several days after it's dissolved to test for it, but until then assume it's at your target cya for maintaining FC levels.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I just read through all this and it sounds like you are still at the point where you have a pH issue from adding too much muriatic acid. You're going to fix that first right? Latests posts all talk about slamming and cya. Sure pick up liquid chlorine or bleach and some form of CYA but I'd get home and post the test results before dumping anything else in that pool. I'd like to hear from an expert is it normal to SLAM a pool with brand new tap water? I thought you would mainly be getting your levels right since you shouldn't have an algae problem yet.

Yeah I'm fixing the PH first. I just wanted to know what else to pick up while I was at Leslies because I'm in rural Iowa and it's quite a drive to get anywhere so I wanted to get everything I needed while I was there. I ended up running into a pool guy there that followed me out to my house, checking my levels for me, and told me step by step what to do and how to maintain, he agreed with a lot of things everyone has said and I'm grateful I ran into him!
As for the pool being unlevel, he also checked that out and said for this summer not to worry to much it might just stretch my liner, but I will definitely be leveling it out next year.

You can have the pool bottom off level a bit, yes, but not the structure! I would check all the way around with a level and sure everything is close to 90 degrees.

Hi bellebrit,
Welcome to TFP. We sure do know the frutration and worry you are going through. Sooo many people are led the wrong direction for their pool care.
Just to mention, the TFPC method of pool care is Very different from what you have previously been told or what you will be told in the pool store.

Here is the difference between us and them. We think you, or anyone else should only add what is actually needed to the water.
The pool stores think you should add whatever the heck they can sell you with a high $ price tag attached to all that stuff.

The fact of the matter is, taking care of your pool is easy if you know what to do and the only way to do that is to be able to reliably test your water. Yourself.
Then only add what it needs. So, having a good quality test kit is critical.
Armed with a test kit and the knowledge that can be learned from these fine folks, you can expect the test kit to pay for itself in chemical savings the first month.

You are in good hands here, so relax and dont worry. Everything will be ok now.

Thank you for the welcome, I met a guy that owns a pool maintenance company at the pool store today, and I'm glad I did, he immediately came back to my house and tested everything and showed me how to use the test kit. He mostly agreed with you guys told me what to get and what to do and said he'd come out anytime I needed any help with anything. He also said to let him know when I go to the pool supply store and he'll let me use his business discount!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.