New pool owner in Alabama

Cosby006

In The Industry
Mar 31, 2020
Dothan, Al
Hey! Hope you all are well! My family just recently bought an older home with a inground gunite pool. We are very excited and will be moving in May 1. My family has been in the chemical business for years and helped maintain pools but this will be the first one I’ve owned. The pool is huge ~25 x40 and built around the 70s or 80s. It is in need of replaster and I plan to have that done as soon as we move in so I can get that cost behind me and make sure it’s going to be in good shape for a while. I’ve gotten a company out of Atlanta -Gunderson pool plastering to look and give me a Quote. They have done many pools and seem like a good company. Wanted to get advice about the finish. Obviously white plaster is the cheapest but I’d like a darker finish and they have npt pool quartzscapes and plasterscapes (colored plaster) which are in my price range. The quartz in French gray is about $1800 more than the colored plaster. I’ve heard of some
People being disappointed in colored plaster due to the fading and discoloration. Wanted to get anyone a Opinion on these products and see what you think. The pool is a chlorine pool currently and I plan to keep it that way. Really look forward to being on this forum! We also have two young girls (2 and 6 yo) and are planning to do a safety fence. Any brands you recommend? I will be installing myself. Thanks for all the help and look forward to the forum!
David Cosby

Attachments

• 94C43186-9B7B-472A-9013-7336F56AC339.jpeg
    94C43186-9B7B-472A-9013-7336F56AC339.jpeg
    705.7 KB · Views: 14
Welcome to TFP.

Focus on the quality of the applier versus the quality of the products. Any of the plaster products can be good if properly applied. The issue becomes that plaster is a hand applied art and quality depends on the crew you get, the weather that day, the way the materials are mixed on site, the startup process that is followed, etc.

We have a lot about how to get a quality plaster job at Plaster Installation and Maintenance - Further Reading

Get educated and supervise what is done to ensure your crew follows the best practices for a quality plaster finish.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.