New Pool Owner - High CYA - Help please!

KimLancaster4

May 29, 2020
Haslet, TX
Our CYA is 134 ppm. I know we need to drain some water. One pool tech said drain 2/3 and add fresh water. Another tech said drain completely and do light acid wash. I decided to start my own research and found this thread. So — partially or completely drain? And recommendations for submersible pool pump? I think I added pool details to my signature. TIA for any help you can provide.

Well, I guess the real question is what do you want to do moving forward. Either one you have been recommend will work, but I'm not seeing th 4need for an acid wash. But trying to follow our advice in pool care won't work if someone else's does your testing and you continue to use that tab feeder for chlorine.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. Plus, the results of their "testing" is used to convince you that you need to buy things. Why do you think that testing is free?

But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF-100 Test Kit ™.

Please don't go back to the pool store for a test kit. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. The TF-100 Test Kit ™ has this test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with these:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.