New pool owner general questions-pool Co. not much help :-(

Donna P

Jun 20, 2019
Las Vegas, nv
Hey everyone- my pool builder kind of abandoned me after the pool was done and I’ve been all over the internet researching how to take care of it. And now I’m tired.
So I’m turning to real people who know things. :)
I have one of the smallest fiberglass pools in existence and would like some advice on how long to run the filter and at what RPM. Right now it’s at 1500 from midnight to 6am. And I manually turn it on sometimes at about 5pm for a couple hours.
I live solo, so there’s very little use. And I’m in the desert, so we’re approaching our triple digit temperatures. I think I calculated that at 1700, it would only take the pool 2-3 hours to completely filter. I hate math, though, so I could be wrong ? the size and gallon qty is in my signature. It’s max depth is 4 ft.
Second- I have only one feature- a waterfall. I have the Pentair Intelliflo which is controlled solely with the Screen Logic App on my phone ( which I’ve been using for a month or so) Yesterday I was manually turning down the RPM of the waterfall from the app (it’s too high if it matches the pump rpm) and all of the sudden, the whole system shut down and would not come back on unless I turned up the RPM OR the GPM. It went through the priming process, then after 30 seconds or so, it would shut down again. This is the first time that’s happened. It DID run its scheduled time last night, though.
So my questions are; Can the waterfall RPM’s be lower than the pumps RPM’s? Is there a minimum RPM that the pump needs to run with the waterfall on? And lastly, of course, any ideas on why the pump shut down to begin with?
Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum!
Turnover is a myth. No need to 'filter' all the water each day. The water chemistry keeps the pool clean, the filter simply removes stuff that falls into the pool.
Not sure I understand about the waterfall. Is it a separate pump? If you can, you will not want to run that full time. It will push your pH up quickly. Plus increase evaporation.
You say 'chlorinator' in your signature. Is that a SaltWater Chlorine Generator?

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Thanks for responding. I keep hearing about people running their filters 23 hrs a day but that seems excessive for my teeny pool. The waterfall is run off of the same pump, and it does not run unless I turn it on manually. I believe it acts as the ‘filter’ when it’s on instead of the typical outputs (on the pool wall)
I do not have a salt water chlorine generator. Just a chlorinator that uses the 3” chlorine tablets.
I still can’t figure out why the system shuts down when turned on manually.

Please review

You need to be able to test your own water chemistry. Using Trichlor tablets for daily maintenance will mean draining your pool every couple months or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.