New pool owner...floating liner

abovestep

Sep 19, 2020
Connecticut
Hi all!

I just bought a house with a 10,000 gallon in-ground pool a few months ago. The liner was replaced a couple weeks before we moved in, and pool inspection went seamlessly.

About a month in, we noticed the liner pulling up at the bottom of the pool, and it felt as though there was water behind it. It didn’t progress until recently, but now the top of the liner is bubbled out and completely out of the track in some spots, with water behind it.

It is a concrete pool deck, which does have some hairline cracks in it. I’m wondering if rain could seep into these cracks and cause the water to run behind the liner? Or is it more likely to be damage to the liner or a mis-installed liner? We are just trying to decide where to begin in tackling this so we can close the pool for the season.

Thanks for your help!

I could very well be way off base here but this does sound a bit suspicious to me. The issue you are describing comes from high ground water getting behind the liner not any type or surface water. So I would suspect the previous owners had this issue as well. The correct cure is to put in one or more sump pits to drain the ground water. They can be run to daylight if you have a large enough elevation drop in your property or they need to be constantly pumped down. This can be very expensive to install depending on the surrounding landscape. So my first thought would be they have been fighting this issue for a long time and that is why there liner need to be replaced. Replacing the liner just before closing ensured this would not come back to haunt them.

Other possibilities include... There are sump pits installed (or a collar drain to daylight) already and they simply did not pass this information on to you and either the pumps are not working or the day lighted drain has become clogged.

Can you get in touch with the previous owners and ask then about this issue?
You can also check with your new neighbors and see if they recall the previous owners having these issues.

On second thought the best place to start would be contacting the company that installed the liner. I would imagine you have some type of warranty. The Is a possibility this is from a leak.

As Rich has said. The Best here would be if there is a leak some place in the new liner. Easy enough to get the water from behind the liner, for a short time but if the problem is not fixed it will be right back. I would remove the water and right after get into checking around the Inside of the pool and hopefully finding where the water is getting out. Need to be fixed before you put the pool to bed for the winter.

I could very well be way off base here but this does sound a bit suspicious to me. The issue you are describing comes from high ground water getting behind the liner not any type or surface water. So I would suspect the previous owners had this issue as well. The correct cure is to put in one or more sump pits to drain the ground water. They can be run to daylight if you have a large enough elevation drop in your property or they need to be constantly pumped down. This can be very expensive to install depending on the surrounding landscape. So my first thought would be they have been fighting this issue for a long time and that is why there liner need to be replaced. Replacing the liner just before closing ensured this would not come back to haunt them.

Other possibilities include... There are sump pits installed (or a collar drain to daylight) already and they simply did not pass this information on to you and either the pumps are not working or the day lighted drain has become clogged.

Can you get in touch with the previous owners and ask then about this issue?
You can also check with your new neighbors and see if they recall the previous owners having these issues.
On second thought the best place to start would be contacting the company that installed the liner. I would imagine you have some type of warranty. The Is a possibility this is from a leak.
Nailed it. (Both posts.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.