New Pool Owner. CYA is too high?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: If your CYA is indeed that high, or even close to it, yes, a large water exchange will be required. But I wouldn't do too much without testing your own water first with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. Pool store testing is often incorrect, and the CYA test is a good example of one they get wrong many times. Start with a TF-100, post a full set of your own results, and we'll help you get that water back to clear.
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Test Kits Compared

Welcome to TFP! :wave: If your CYA is indeed that high, or even close to it, yes, a large water exchange will be required. But I wouldn't do too much without testing your own water first with a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. Pool store testing is often incorrect, and the CYA test is a good example of one they get wrong many times. Start with a TF-100, post a full set of your own results, and we'll help you get that water back to clear.
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
Test Kits Compared

Thank you, I ordered a k2006 set this morning, it'll take about a week. I'll probably have Leslie do another water test to see if there are any changes/inconsistencies.

Reactions: Texas Splash
PoolMath has a tool for a rectangular pool. PoolMath

For an odd shape break it down into segments. You want to figure out the cubic feet and convert to gallons. What shape is your pool? One cubic foot equals 7.48 gallons.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheDude26
Got my k2006 kit. It's a bit more complicated than I expected so hoping I am doing it right. The TC test has it about 1PPM. Granted I haven't been using the tablets the last 4 days because of the high CYA. I feel my chlorine is being eaten up because I poured 1 Gallon of Liquid Chlorine on Monday. Might have to go back to the tablets but at the same time, I have this annoying teal tint and haven't gotten it looking blue yet. /rant.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.