New pool owner,cloudy water, pool store blues

Sep 3, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
New ABG installed 1st wk of Aug. get a pool they said, it will be fun they said... I’ve been taking my water into the local pool store for testing and of course every trip means “I’m sure you just need this $40 bottle of nectar of the gods to clear things right up”. Fast forward to today and I just found this page. We have maybe been able to use the pool about 4 times since install due to cloudy water. See photo. The latest as of today is they think we have an algae bloom, gave me something called algeacide to pour half a bottle around the pool. Wait 4 hours and then add clarifier and that should take care of the problem. I’m skeptical to say the least. I just ordered the tf-100 kit but it won’t be delivered until next week. Is there anything I can do to get the ball rolling in the meantime? With the end of the summer rapidly approaching it sucks that we will only be able to use the pool a few times before it gets too cold.

Thanks, going to keep reading some posts and get more educated. Any help is definitely appreciated!!934D8412-6315-4AFF-A269-C4BCA81E0046.jpg9F85695B-96A3-4414-89B6-C3167FF1199D.jpgFBA2D07A-B2A7-40FF-BE43-799D936C794A.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Great job on ordering your test kit!

While you are waiting on your test kit add liquid chlorine/bleach to put 5 ppm FC into your pool each evening.

Let us know when you get your test kit and post up the results.

- - - Updated - - -

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

You may also want to get the Pool Math app.

Welcome to TFP. You're home!!

You're in good hands with Marty (mknauss ). He is one of the Moderators here, and his advice will get you going in short order. He is my mentor, and hasn't ever steered me wrong.

You've been "pool stored." Most of us have been at one time or another. Follow Marty's advice verbatim and you'll have an amazing pool in short order. Keep studying. Really do download the book, as Marty suggested. It's the best way to read the info. I was taking care of my own pool within days of finding TFP and following Marty's advice. I'm still learning here, but the basics are very easy, and taking care of your pool yourself is totally doable. In fact, after you get it down, you won't be able to find anyone else that will do it better! And you'll be saving a ton of money to boot!

Congrats on the new pool!

Do you have the name of the algaecide? You can add the bleach no matter what.

Use PoolMath. Put 9000 gallons in upper left, in FC use 0 for Now, 5 for Target. I get 94 oz of 6% bleach. You can add a full jug if you like.

Be sure the bleach is plain, no scent, not splashless, no Cloromax, no fabric protection. Some are labeled Cleaning Bleach. Walmart may still have some Pool Essentials 10% Liquid chlorine. If you use that, add ~1/2 bottle each evening.

Be ware of Home Depot or Lowes as they store the pool chlorine outside. Head degrades bleach really quick.

Welcome to TFP :)

A good test kit, a little learning and all the people here to answer questions will have your pool sparkling.

To calculate the bleach (liquid chlorine) additions use pool math. PoolMath

Set all the "now" and target parameters and it will advise you on the necessary chlorine additions. I'd just focus on that chlorine until you get your test kit. When the kit arrives, post up all the test results and we can help you get going.

Welcome :)

One of the things I’ve been reading is during a SLAM you should be vacuuming at least once a day to keep the particles in motion to be filtered. Technically I am not in a SLAM yet but I’m assuming there is no harm in vacuuming once a day whilst I await my test kit and go nuclear on this mess correct?

One of the ways to speed up the end of the SLAM process is to remove as much organic material from your pool as possible. So anything you remove, before or during the SLAM, is good.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, just had the pool installer out to check everything to make sure my pump is in working order due to the cloudy water. He took one look and said the guy who installed it is an idiot. The hoses were installed backwards. I’m thinking that might have something to do with the cloudy water. Told me to call tomorrow but it should be nice and clear by then. �� Sometimes you just have to laugh at the day you are presented with.

So, just had the pool installer out to check everything to make sure my pump is in working order due to the cloudy water. He took one look and said the guy who installed it is an idiot. The hoses were installed backwards. I’m thinking that might have something to do with the cloudy water. Told me to call tomorrow but it should be nice and clear by then. �� Sometimes you just have to laugh at the day you are presented with.

Where were they hooked up backwards? Going into and out of the filter I assume?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.