New pool owner. Been shooting in the dark... now I have the goodies!

Hello all and thank goodness for this site. I have been reading my heart out for the last month but didn't want to post until I received my goodies...K-2006C kit. I recently purchased a house with what looks like an abandoned pool. When I took the cover off in February the water was very dark green. Before finding this site I was visited the local pool store with some test water and of course they presented me with a $450 "this is what you need to fix everything list". The only think I purchased was a case of Burn Out 73...73% sodium hypo. I semi-blindly started pouring in the diluted powder. Six bags the first day and three bags semi-daily...very nonchalant. The pool was changing to a lighter color of green but I knew I was basically just "playing" because there was tons of leaves, twigs and grass that needed to removing.

After finding this site I was beginning to grasp concepts and understand the pool store nonsense. I started buying liquid chlorine and started testing with a big box regular OTO and PH test kit. I was keeping the chlorine around 5 which I thought was acceptable before I found out about the relationship between CYA and Chlorine. Since then I have been trying to keep FC at 10-15ppm but it's hard with that cheap test kit. I added some sodium bicarbonate and borax based on the pool stores readings after using the pool calc. I did tons of vacuuming and scrubbing to get to where I am today. At this point the pool water is a pretty shade of blue(after everything settles from brushing) and almost all the vegetation is off the bottom. I have also been running the pump 24/7 after recently replacing the bearings(what a noise!)

I hope that wasn't too much rambling!

Yesterday I received a K-2006C and I am looking for advise on where to go from here. I am still in SLAM mode as the water is not clear... I just hope i'm going in the correct direction because we're hosing our first pool birthday party on April 14th! Below are the results of the k-2006C tests starting when I received the kit yesterday, then after chlorine addition before sunset and lastly this morning before sunrise. I was attempting to do my first OCLT.

3/21 - 6pm
FC - 13
CC - 6
pH - didn't test. was 7.4 before SLAM
CH - 208
CYA - 40

3/21 - 8pm
FC - 22.5
CC - 2

3/22 - 7am
FC - 23.5 (i was tired. guess it was wrong)
CC - 2

Like I mentioned the pool is still light blue and cloudy. I can see the bottom step in the shallow end but it's quite hazy. Where should i go from here?
I think this is the longest post I have made. Sorry if its too long winded or confusing. Thanks in advance for all the help!! Travis

You are doing great. I would suggest taking a picture of the steps at the same spot each day. This will let you see your progress easier since this stage it’s less obvious. Keep your FC at SLAM level as much as possible. You can do the OCLT test now but in reality it only matters once your water is crystal clear, since that’s one of he three criteria for finishing a SLAM anyway.

I see folks trying to jump the gun and saying they passed the OCLT but they have forgotten about clear water. Clear water is what your water looks like coming out of the tap (hopefully your tap is that clear). It’s also being able to tell heads or tails on a coin in 5’ (or more) of water.

Great job and continued success SLAMming!

Are you testing for CC quickly after the FC test? If you wait too long its not a good reading. If you did it right after the FC then we assume its correct and you still need to keep going with the SLAM. Try to keep SLAM bleach additions frequently until the CC drop to .5-1ppm. You are on the right track. Dont worry too much about CH or PH during the SLAM. Keep the pump running and brushing and backwashing the filter. You still have not passed the OCLT.

Felipe

Welcome Travis!

Save the effort, no reason to test for CC's as you know they are present and pH measurements will not be correct with FC above 10.

Focus entirely on FC. At CYA of 40 you need to keep the FC @ no less than 16ppm based on Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart. Measure multiple times a day and add chlorine/bleach as needed to get it back above 16. The less time FC is below 16 the quicker the results will be. Persistence is the key.

Read Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain repeatedly and understand the 3 keys to knowing the SLAM is complete. Do NOT cut it short. You should have time prior to your 4/15 party to get the pool cleaned up but only if you stay diligent in keeping the FC at SLAM level.

Once you have complete your SLAM we can help adjust your other chemicals.

That's getting to be quite a bit above your SLAM level of 16 for your CYA. The Pool School SLAM procedure is written to take FC up to SLAM level, not to exceed it. It is also written that levels exceeding SLAM level can begin to be harmful to equipment. I know it is mentioned off-hand to go a bit above so you are at SLAM level for longer, but that becomes a gray area and is not promoted in our documentation.

I'll leave it at that, but of course you are your own judge and jury.

FC of 22 shouldn't harm your vinyl or anything for the week or 2 that you're slamming. I wouldn't go any higher than that for sure. When you add chlorine after work, aim for 16 though.

The damage from higher than shock FC is over an extended time and right now the algae and organics will be consuming your FC anyways.

Also, great job on finding this site and doing your due diligence with reading the Pool School articles and understanding how to SLAM. With blue cloudy water, you are so close to being done, just keep it up and you'll be done and have a TFP pool in no time.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you have an ladders or anything in your pool, like the weir on your skimmer, take them out and inspect them for any signs of algae or mildew. The foam of the weir is good about trapping algae, and areas of low circulation like ladders and light fixtures are good at trapping algae too.

Going above the shock level on a consistent basis is not necessary and a waste of liquid chlorine. When you go very high with your FC it is burned off more quickly by UV.

You are still defeating the algae and other organics even when your FC falls below shock level. Only when you get below minimum FC for your CYA does algae begin to grow again.

I would encourage you to stay with shock level at your test/dose time.

Take care.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.