New pool owner and could use some help!

1 - Phosphates are not the problem. I haven't tested my phosphates in years. It's all about the algae and chlorine is the best tool
2 - All equipment will be purged by the proper amount of chlorine; that's part of the SLAM Process.
3 - You can leave the cover on for "part" of the day to help preserve FC during the SLAM Process, but the sun is required to help eliminate CCs. Nighttime doesn't really matter.
4 - CC levels aren't that critical. Some show very little during a SLAM. It varies.
5 - Never try to compare any level history with the pool store. Their testing and advice varies from TFP.

With the K-2006, you are in 100% control. If your CYA is currently accurate (very important), and you are maintaining the applicable FC SLAM level for that CYA, then algae cannot survive unless it has a place to hide. If you are brushing daily and doing all the other asks on the SLAM page, you will eliminate it.

1 - Phosphates are not the problem. I haven't tested my phosphates in years. It's all about the algae and chlorine is the best tool
2 - All equipment will be purged by the proper amount of chlorine; that's part of the SLAM Process.
3 - You can leave the cover on for "part" of the day to help preserve FC during the SLAM Process, but the sun is required to help eliminate CCs. Nighttime doesn't really matter.
4 - CC levels aren't that critical. Some show very little during a SLAM. It varies.
5 - Never try to compare any level history with the pool store. Their testing and advice varies from TFP.

With the K-2006, you are in 100% control. If your CYA is currently accurate (very important), and you are maintaining the applicable FC SLAM level for that CYA, then algae cannot survive unless it has a place to hide. If you are brushing daily and doing all the other asks on the SLAM page, you will eliminate it.
Ok, thanks for the detailed answers! I have to get more chlorine this morning, but I'll keep on going. Fingers crossed things will clear up soon! Thanks again!

The only issue I see is you really aren't maintaining the shock level. You've said a couple times that the FC was around 1ppm. The better you maintain the FC level at the shock level the quicker you'll see results.

EDIT: I was wrong about going over the shock level, you shouldn't do that, my mistake.

Last edited:
Reactions: xkristen83
Just want to give everyone an update….after four days and about 45 gallons of chlorine, I think progress is being made! My FC loss has slowed a bit (closer to 3 ppm/hour (it was at 5ppm). Also, this morning when I checked the chlorine, it was at 2.5! Still very low and a large overnight loss (I got it up to 16 before I went to bed last night), but better than the .5s and 1s I was getting a few days ago. The pool has cleared a bit, but still can’t see the fourth step in or the floor (pic from this morning attached).

Also, I have two quick questions….(1) under the jet, there is this white/light brown-ish substance. It’s almost cloudy, and when I try to fish it out, it kind of breaks up and clouds. I vacuumed it yesterday, but I don’t know that my filter caught it…it looked like some was coming back out of the return jets. Do you know what that is? Should I just vacuum it up every day and eventually the filter will get it all? (2) I mentioned this before, but I’m pretty sure there are metals in our pool. Per a pool store test we have copper and iron (we’re on a well and top off the pool with the hose). I know I don’t do anything about metals until SLAM is done, but is there a test/chemicals I should use? Just want to get those ready so I can’t start right away after SLAM.

Thanks again for all the help!

Attachments

• 3D7D556A-1B05-45B1-B039-D26C4A9AE5AE.jpeg
    3D7D556A-1B05-45B1-B039-D26C4A9AE5AE.jpeg
    293 KB · Views: 17
  • C72BCF8D-B3A9-48A0-9F2B-60A8CFAB6684.jpeg
    C72BCF8D-B3A9-48A0-9F2B-60A8CFAB6684.jpeg
    330.2 KB · Views: 17
Unless you want to exchange water for fresh non-metals water, just disregard it for now. Iron comes from the well, copper is introduced from bad pool store products. But we can come back to all that later. A SLAM must always be done first. I can't see the stuff by your return jet, but if it's green and cloudy when brushed it sounds like algae that it getting past the filter. With heavy algae that can happen when the filter gets overwhelmed. So be sure to vacuum it up then rinse the filter as needed to remove it. You might want to double-check your CYA to ensure you are maintaining the proper FC SLAM level.

Unless you want to exchange water for fresh non-metals water, just disregard it for now. Iron comes from the well, copper is introduced from bad pool store products. But we can come back to all that later. A SLAM must always be done first. I can't see the stuff by your return jet, but if it's green and cloudy when brushed it sounds like algae that it getting past the filter. With heavy algae that can happen when the filter gets overwhelmed. So be sure to vacuum it up then rinse the filter as needed to remove it. You might want to double-check your CYA to ensure you are maintaining the proper FC SLAM level.
Ok great! I have been cleaning the filter daily, even though the pressure doesn’t change much. The last two days, the filter has been bright green. 🤢 I just still can’t believe we have an algae issue….our pool has always been blue (but cloudy), and multiple pool stores said the algaecide should take care of it all. Thank goodness I found you all! I can’t thank you enough for the help, and I’m so excited to be making some progress in the right direction!

Reactions: Casey and Cwiggs
Hi All! Still chugging along with SLAM. Things are improving daily, and our FC loss is continuing to go down. Last night I think our overnight chlorine loss was around 7.0, so definitely a big improvement over a week ago.

I think I know the answer to this question, but wanted to double check….this morning in the pool things looked great. We could see the fourth step down, so definitely clearer than ever before. On the top steps I saw more of that cloudy whiteish substance. I tried to take more pictures (attached) for you to see, but it’s hard to make out. We vacuumed the pool, and I noticed that while I was vacuuming, the water coming out of the return jets was super cloudy. I’m guessing that cloudy substance had settled all over the floor of the pool and the filter didn’t catch it all. We have a cartridge filter and I cleaned it right before vacuuming, thinking this would be an issue. After vacuuming, our pool looked much worse than before (could barely make out the third step) it’s cleared a bit throughout the day, but I’m wondering if I can use a clarifier to get some of that stuff out? If so, what kind should I use? Or should I just wait it out/keep vacuuming daily?

Thanks!

Your cartridge filter will filter out the debris. As the cartridge gets dirty, it filters out finer material. Be sure to let the filter pressure rise to 25% above clean pressure before cleaning the cartridges.

Clarifier is not recommended at this state, if ever. It would make a bigger mess right now as you are still in an active algae killing part of the SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi All! Great news….I think I’m nearing the end of SLAM! I’m so impressed and happy with the results. I can’t thank you all enough! I can finally see the bottom in the deep end, and I think I lost minimal chlorine today. I’m going to wait one more day, until the water is crystal clear, and do the OCLT tomorrow night. Obligatory picture attached! Also, per usual, I have a few questions….

(1) My CC has been stuck right at 1.5. I had the cover on most of today because it was raining, but have the sun on the water now. Anything I can do to decrease the CC? I’m keeping my FC at 16 (CYA is 37-ish, just retested last night).

(2) Can you give me an idea of what the next steps are, after finishing SLAM? I assume I let the chlorine fall to the 5-7 range (not sure that’s right if we have a SWG?) Do I test FC daily and add liquid chlorine if we get low? How high should I set my SWG? I assume I also do a full battery of tests and adjust ph/alkalinity/etc?

(3) What do I do about metals? I had some, per a pool store test, prior to SLAM. I’ve had to add hose water a couple times (we’re on a well), so I assume my metals have gone up.

Thank you!!!

Attachments

• 5FAF5D1B-24F7-4A04-BD97-CE461AA2D5E2.jpeg
    5FAF5D1B-24F7-4A04-BD97-CE461AA2D5E2.jpeg
    519.6 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Cwiggs
(1) My CC has been stuck right at 1.5. I had the cover on most of today because it was raining, but have the sun on the water now. Anything I can do to decrease the CC? I’m keeping my FC at 16 (CYA is 37-ish, just retested last night).
I think If you are keeping the cover on a lot it might keep the CC higher since the pool can't breath, but if you take it off for a few hours a day it should eliminate that problem. Not 100% on this, maybe a TFP expert can confirm? Either way if you keep at SLAM level for a few more days it should help kill any organics that might be pushing the CC up.

(2) Can you give me an idea of what the next steps are, after finishing SLAM? I assume I let the chlorine fall to the 5-7 range (not sure that’s right if we have a SWG?) Do I test FC daily and add liquid chlorine if we get low? How high should I set my SWG? I assume I also do a full battery of tests and adjust ph/alkalinity/etc?
Check the FC/CYA Levels to see where you should keep your CYA and FC. If your CYA was low during the SLAM, once you are done with the SLAM you'll want to increase the CYA; SWCG set ups usually require a higher CYA.

Until you get your SWCG dialed in you should test the FC daily; just don't let it get below the min on the FC/CYA chart.

Getting your SWCG set will be a balance between setting the % and the pump run time. You can use the pool math app to help you figure out what you should set the % and pump run time to. Then while you are testing the FC daily you can mess with the % and/or run time to keep the FC where you want.

After the SLAM you should post a full panel of your pool chemicals and we can give more recommendations.
(3) What do I do about metals? I had some, per a pool store test, prior to SLAM. I’ve had to add hose water a couple times (we’re on a well), so I assume my metals have gone up.
Not sure what to do on the metals, lets see what others think.

Reactions: xkristen83
You are still a few days away from doing an OCLT in my opinion. Your pool water clarity is just not there yet and you still have a high CC reading. Keep SLAMin the pool for a couple more days to drop that CC more and when the pool is crystal clear, go one more night and then do an OCLT.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.