New pool owner. Algae Help.

Received the perlite today. Put 4.8 pounds in the morning. 2 hours later the pressure is up by 18 psi. Backwashed it 3 times. Added 4lb. 3 hours later pressure is at 30 psi.
Backwashed 3 times, turn it on and the pressure was going up immediately. Opened the filter and it looks like the backwashing worked. Not a lot of it left in the filter. Filled it with 4.8 pounds 1 hr ago. The pressure is up 4 psi. Water is still cloudy.
I am starting to think there is something wrong with the filter. I will add DE later today because I am out of perlite.
FC is 15.

Last edited:
Keep your thread here.

Sounds like the filter is doing its job. Is this pool still in the SLAM process? Still cloudy?

A DE filter is a pain during a SLAM. Are you following the SLAM Process?

Once your pool is cloudy and holding FC fairly well, then you just have to filter, backwash, etc until you get the fines out. DE filters are the quickest to clear a pool, but also the most work.

I do not have a DE filter, but to my knowledge, the only real reason to get new grids is if the fabric is torn or the structure is compromised. If you are not getting DE in the pool water, then I do not see why you would need to replace the grids.

When you have algae, dead or alive, in your water, a DE filter plugs up quickly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maintain your FC based on your 50 ppm (round up) CYA. Use FC/CYA Levels for a non-SWCG pool unless you plan to use the SWCG. If so, raise your CYA to 70 ppm.

Hi,
We bought a house with an IG pool recently. Pool has green algae.
I am so happy to finally find a good website/forum with a lot of info.

I bought a chemistry kit and did my first test today. I added liquid chlorine (5 gal) yesterday and trying to follow the SLAM process.

Results of test:
CYA: 0
PH: 6.8
FC: 3
CC: 0

I will measure the hardness and alkalinity tomorrow morning, it is already dark.
I also need to measure the size of the pool to calculate the volume. I will do this tomorrow.

What should I do first? I am guessing raising the PH and increasing the CYA?
or should I keep adding the chlorine?

Thank you!

Howdy Neighbor ...
You need to get CYA in there or You will lose all of your chlorine immediately. You will lose all of your chlorine immediately. Walmart sells 4 pound package that should get you to just about where you want to be based on your pool size. Once you have that in there get some chlorine in there. What are the dimensions of your pool? If you get to a point where you really feel like you need help I would be happy to stop by and help you out. This stuff is a little daunting to start but really very simple once you get going.

Update. I just realized i missed a week or more of posts so my response makes no sense. My offer to help still stands

Howdy Neighbor ...
You need to get CYA in there or You will lose all of your chlorine immediately. You will lose all of your chlorine immediately. Walmart sells 4 pound package that should get you to just about where you want to be based on your pool size. Once you have that in there get some chlorine in there. What are the dimensions of your pool? If you get to a point where you really feel like you need help I would be happy to stop by and help you out. This stuff is a little daunting to start but really very simple once you get going.

Update. I just realized i missed a week or more of posts so my response makes no sense. My offer to help still stands
Thanks for the offer. The pool is clean now.
It is almost time to close it for the winter. I will with the swg until next season. I am going to need a lot of salt!

Maintain your FC based on your 50 ppm (round up) CYA. Use FC/CYA Levels for a non-SWCG pool unless you plan to use the SWCG. If so, raise your CYA to 70 ppm.
I will add chlorine to maintain FC of 6.
Salt will be added next season. I will also adjust CYA next season. There is no in line chlorinator but the season is almost over.
Next thing is the heater. I tried to fix it and it looks like the exhaust fan is dead and a lot of sensors are dead. Time to disconnect electric, gas and get a new one.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.