New pool owner. Algae Help.

No experience with Fiber Clear, but several of the reviews on amazon also mentioned it clogging up their filters.

Typically on a slam, you are testing and adding chlorine several times a day to keep your FC at the slam level and not dip below that for very long if at all.

OK, perhaps you missed the point about testing more often than 3x a day if you can do it. 3x a day is the minimum, and it makes SLAM go pretty darn slow. What we're trying to convey is that if you can possibly test every hour to 2 hours, that is better and will help a lot.

Insofar as the filter, I think you may need to do a complete filter cleaning (take apart, wash it all out/off) and start all over with new DE. It sounds like your filter isn't filtering after adding the fiber clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are no stupid questions at TFP! ;)

Every couple hours should be fine, that's pretty frequent.

When is the last time you cleaned the DE filter? (take apart, hose off all the grids and canister of all the DE, then recharge with new DE)

Reactions: bob22
Here is the full explanation about the filter and backwash:
I clean the filter completely, disassemble and reassemble. I fill the filter per instructions with 11 cups. Filter works the whole day pressure goes up slowly. At the end of the day I vacuum the pool. Nothing in the return jets. Pressure is now too high. I backwash and don't add the fiber clear. I try to vaccuum the pool more but it's now coming back in the return jets. This makes sense to me because I didn't add any fiber clear and most of the fiber clear is on the bottom of the filter. So the filter doesn't have fiber clear on the grids. If I just keep adding fiber clear the pressure goes up because of all the stuff on the bottom.
Sorry for the long post. I hope it makes sense.
DE is not an option, wife read online about DE.
The original owners had the waste go to where the well was. I connected a black pipe and moved it to the street.

Hmmm... So it sounds like fiber clear isn't really working out for you if you have to clean the filter every day and backwashing removes the filter media from the grids. Sounds like there's not a good solution because... what else is there to do? You can't backwash without it falling off the grids, you can't add fiber clear after backwashing because the pressure is too high, and you have to clean it daily just to repeat the same thing the next day. No good it seems.

I did a quick search about the stuff, then decided to search "fiber clear sucks" and found some really interesting posts on some other forum...

Fiber clear is not good. I don't know how people use it. I tried premixing with water before adding it to skimmer.
I also ordered perlite to try. I should get it tomorrow and will report back.
I checked the FC 3 times today and added chlorine to keep it above 12.
Thanks

I discovered that most of the grids have broken pieces of plastic on the top. It is not a big section. 2-3 inches on each grid. The broken plastic pieces are loose in the bag. Is this a big deal? I am not familiar with DE filters.

Got the perlite today.
FC is above 12. The water is still cloudy. Color is better. I check the fc 5 to 6 times a day.

How old is your filter? If you dont like DE and have parts breaking on your current filter, can you switch to a cartridge or sand filter?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.