New pool on the gulf coast

May 19, 2017
MS
Hello! I am installing a 27’ x 54” pool that is 2’ in the ground. I’ve been reading about how you just use bleach and I am intrigued. I had a pool before but it’s been several years. I had my pool on a maintenance schedule and never had any issues with clear water, but I was using all the chemicals.
For this pool, I have 2 filters, a sand and a cartridge. I’m not sure about how to install both filters as I have never done so previously. I’m excited to get started, should have walls up and liner installed by morning tomorrow. Will take at least 2 days to fill, then the fun begins with a refresher course in chemistry. Open to words of wisdom.

Hello backatcha, Macuick! :handwave: Happy to have you join us.

We have found that the basic chemicals, often the exact same thing pool stores sell, but purchased cheaply at the grocer or hardware store work just as good. Perhaps even better as many times they don't contain unwanted extra ingredients that can cause problems.
Bleach (plain, unscented, non-thickened, no polymer tech stuff) is nothing more than "liquid chlorine" but slightly weaker. So why not buy your liquid chlorine where ever you get the best price per ounce?

We have a wonderful app (and classic web version) program called PoolMath that will tell you how much bleach, liquid chlorine or liquid shock product (all have different strengths) to get your desired ppm (parts per million) Free Chlorine (FC). Need to lower your pH?? PoolMath will tell you exactly how much muriatic acid to use to get your desired response. Cool, huh?

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

FC/CYA Levels

Now, I gotta ask- why use two filters?? Are they individually undersized or something??

Maddie :flower: