Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So, we had a very long build process, but the pool has finally been turned over to us.

The water looked a bit cloudy. I performed the OCLT, and it did not pass. Performed a SLAM, but couldn't seem to get it to pass the OCLT and then grad school finals started and I wasn't able to complete it. Anyway, the water looks super clear now and when I brush there isn't a cloudy mess anymore, but it is still failing the OCLT.

I am wondering if it could be failing due to the amount of June bugs that come overnight? We have to scoop out a ton every morning.

It's failing for the beginning of another algae bloom. You can sometimes keep them at bay for long periods of time but if you change anything you are doing in the slightest and it gets the upper hand, boom. Swamp.

We get newb after newb after newb wanting to blame the filter or the bugs or anything else thay can dream up. If you lost FC overnight without sun or swimmers, it's algae.

Trust your testing and full speed ahead with SLAM Process #2. Once your FC is up, scour every inch of pool and it's nooks/crannies. Repeated SLAMs often come from an area that algae hid in plain sight the first time and started growing the moment you stopped. Inside ladder rails, behind light niches, all up in the skimmer innards, auto fills, etc. Every last inch is suspect until you've drained/cleaned it.

Keep us posted. :)

Reactions: Mdragger88
I was afraid you were going to say that!

We don't have any ladders, so that's good. We are still waiting on weir doors and I have removed the skimmer baskets and looked and scrubbed. Lights were just installed (like between me during the SLAM last weekend and now) and FC hasn't dropped below 14 since then, could they still be a culprit?

Maybe main drain housing could be an issue? How would I go about checking that?

Lights were just installed (like between me during the SLAM last weekend and now) and FC hasn't dropped below 14 since then, could they still be a culprit?
Not likely. So they're OK. (y) Any water features ? They need to be run a few times a day for the process.

Can we talk user error in higher FC testing ? It's not that you screwed up, but that you need to be extra careful to be as close to not human as you can. The bottle goes dead upside down. Only the gentlest of squeezes to let gravity create repeatable drops. A smart stir is almost required at 20+ drops (you have one, AWESOME sig and this is why we ask for them !!!!)

If you're sure the FC has been up this whole time, and have zero traces of algae or dead algae dust anywhere, you can let the FC drift back to target and try the OCLT there with many less perfect drops needed. If you're wrong and you still fail, you won't lose any ground. It's more like hitting the pause button for a few days and you can resume right away.

Try anothet OCLT tonight and go extra careful both tests. If it takes 3 seconds a drop to get them right, you will never miss the time it took to run the test. It's still less than 2 mins.

Reactions: PoolPride
Should I turn pump off when I do that or just move valve off main drain? If the latter, my equipment pad isn't labeled- could you tell me which valve I should be turning to turn off main drain? Pics attached below.

Sorry, feel like I should already know this stuff :/

Attachments

• PXL_20220611_210400896.jpg
    PXL_20220611_210400896.jpg
    631.7 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20220611_210415580.jpg
    PXL_20220611_210415580.jpg
    764.6 KB · Views: 16
Any water features ?

Can we talk user error in higher FC testing ? It's not that you screwed up, but that you need to be extra careful to be as close to not human as you can. The bottle goes dead upside down. Only the gentlest of squeezes to let gravity create repeatable drops.
No water features.

User error is definitely possible. I will repeat being extremely careful. I think I may be going too quick with my drops and the smartstir has only been used as of today as I didn't have batteries at first... quick shout out to the customer service at the TFP store for quickly correcting that issue!

Reactions: Newdude
Update: I have been letting the FC drift back down to less than 10 to further ensure that user error isn't factoring in. There was a small amount of algae in the robot cleaner when I took it apart, so I cleaned that. I also found a tiny amount in the umbrella holder hole after removing the cap and scrubbed that as well.

Haven't checked the main drain covers yet as my SO is out of town and I want some help... we have four (two in hot tub and two in pool) and I can't hold my breath that long haha.

I'm going to do another OCLT tonight. If it fails, I will start the SLAM process again and check the main drain covers for hidden algae. Hopefully it passes though!

There was a small amount of algae in the robot cleaner when I took it apart, so I cleaned that. I also found a tiny amount in the umbrella holder hole after removing the cap and scrubbed that as well.
I like what I'm hearing. It sounds like you took the 'scrub every inch' reccomendations to heart. That's how you win on these stubborn SLAMs. You need an AHA moment where it was staring you in the face the whole time. Preferably not from the deep end drains. I wish your AHA moment is an easy to get to location. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I wish your AHA moment is an easy to get to location. :)
+1 My OCLT FC loss was high for first three days. Then loss sat at ~2 and wouldn't budge for another 3 day. I could not figure it out. Was doing something on the pool deck and I looked at the ladder and thought..."those are hollow." Pulled the ladder, passed that night. Algae in the tubes.

3.jpg

Reactions: Newdude
6/13 9 PM Results:
FC 8.5
CC 0.5
pH 8.2
CYA 60

I accidentally slept in a bit, but decided to test anyway and I think I passed? Maybe it was the stuff I found in the robot or the holder.

6/14 9 AM Results:
FC 7.5
CC 0.5

The pool is a bit low on water, so today I plan on filling it, adding some acid, and turning the SWG back on.

I'll check all of the tests after I have filled the pool. I'm thinking I should run another OCLT again in a day or two to double check as well. We will be having a high bather load this weekend, do you guys recommend upping the FC some before that?

We will be having a high bather load this weekend, do you guys recommend upping the FC some before that?
For a party I would go half SLAM. For a kids party I would go full SLAM.

If you dosed extra without need, you will dose less the next few days as it drifts down to target range. (turn the SWG down/off)

If you dosed extra and there *was* a need, you saved how many gallons of your next SLAM ?

There is no right/wrong answer but I personally side on being proactive anytime I'm given the chance, instead of being reactive.

Reactions: PoolPride
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.