New Pool need help

While the pump is running the basket is about 1/2 to 3/4 full if water.
That's almost surely a suction side air leak. Stop that air leak and the pump will probably produce about 15 times the volume you are getting.

Check that 90 degree joint where the water comes into your pump. That looks crooked to me and that joint may have failed letting air in constantly.

You have a mess. You might want to consider a pro coming in and fixing all this stuff. We'll sure help if you decide to DIY but you've got some work and learning in front of you.....sorry, but I am being candid.

One more basic thing. Have you looked in your skimmer while the pump is running. If the water level is low or you have a swinging weir door on your skimmer entry that is stuck, you may be sucking lots of air along with the water, into the skimmer. Make sure the skimmer basket is empty and clean and it doesn't look like a tornado is in the skimmer when the pump is on. Other than that, it's pretty surely a suction side leak as Dave mentioned.

Was the filter full of sand when you replaced the MP valve? If so, where did it go?

I believe that the most logical problem for the low flow is that the pump basket pot is allowing air to leak in somewhere. Most likely at the cover, but maybe the drain plugs, or maybe a crack in the housing somewhere.

Could the pool level be really low and the skimmer is not able to supply the amount of water needed? Were you doing anything that could have clogged the skimmer line to the pump?

Is your main drain connected to the skimmer? Do you have a diverter in the skimmer that selects between the skimmer and the main drain?

Try running the pump, not connected to the filter and run a small stream of water, from a garden hose, over the pump pot and see if the pump output suddenly comes back to life. If so, this would indicate a suction side air leak.

Jim R.

Don't mean to distract you from solving the pump problem, which definitely is the first order of business, but after that's done, questions about your filter still remain. Could you post a couple of full view photographs of your filter. The tight closeups of the interior are just not enough to help identify it.

Thanks for all fo the suggestion. I'll try to answer all of the questions.

Right now there is plenty of water in the pool. There is no flapper door on the skimmer and it does not look like a tornado in there.

The sand level in the photos is what was in there when the MP was replaced. I didn't realize it was that low at the time. I have since completely drained the filter and found one broken lateral. The new one should be here today. I have a way to fix the "broken" stand pipe as well. So some new sand and hopefully the filter will be good to go.

I was in the process of SLAM when the flow issues presented themselves. I have tried a few times to blow the lines out with the water hose but it hasn't helped. I assume the main drain is connected but I have not seen evidence of that yet. Only one line coming into the pump so if the main drain is connected then they connect somewhere underground.

I did think of the basket lid being a leak so I pulled the o-ring and checked it for cracks. It looked good so I washed it good and put it back on. Made sure it was seated well and lubed it up good. No change. I want to check the drains on the basket and pump as well but have not gotten there yet. I did order a go kit for the pump. I figured it was cheap enough and could not hurt. I found a rock in one of the rotors and a spot on the bottom of the case that had some mud packed in and looked like it could have been leaking there. The spot was under the clamp so I didn't see it until the pump was apart.

Thanks for all the help. Hopefully the go kit will be here early next week.

Update:
I got the go kit and rebuilt the pump. Made sure everything was clean and all the o-rings are lubed. I replaced a portion of the suction line from the pump through the second 90 (The 90 that is buried underground where it turns up to go to the pump). I used a shop vac to blow the suction line from the pump back to the skimmer. I ran that for about 20 minutes. I got a small amount of debris to come out but nothing major. But the air was continuously blowing into the skimmer. Lots of bubbles. I got everything back together and checked all my connections. Filled the pump filter with water and tightened the lid. Turned the pump on and it still will not prime. I have tried to manually fill the filter 3-4 times and the pump still will not prime. I ran the hose over all of the suction lines and the filter lid and it did not help. I cannot see any visible leaks. Is it time to throw in the towel and replace my pump or could it be something else? The pump is at least 10 years old.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.