New pool....need chlorine!!!!!!

After you kill all the algae, the dead algae will still be in the water. It then takes the filter a while (from a day to a week) to filter it all out. You should see a visible improvement each day.

The PH will tend to read higher than it actually is when the FC level is high (> 10). So don't lower the PH too much until you get a PH reading at a lower FC level.

Good work on the chlorine. cc's to zero is a good sign as well.

Plan on the water being murky for another few days. Chances are, the clarity will improve slowly over that time until it's crystal.

The stuff you stirred up is most likely dead algae. Brush again in 24 hours and you'll probably stir up a little more.

If your psi doesn't rise, there's no need to backwash unless you just really want to.

These test results yielded CYA = 0. Prior to that you had 30ppm CYA. Which results are you comfortable with? (The CYA won't disappear....if it was in there, it's still in there) Let us know where your CYA is and we'll add on a couple more suggestions for getting your water perfect......you're on the way.

Thanks for the help....I know I saw someone here suggest a big dose of patience. Boy do I need that! One big problem here in OKC this time of year is the wind and the blowing dust that comes with it. I can brush off steps and buddy seat and a few hours later there is visible dirt in the treads again. So some of my problem may just be dirt BUT, judging by the clarity of the neighbors pool who gets the same wind and dirt, I suspect I have more issues. Sounds like the advice here is to sit tight for now and let the filter do the work for me. Should I just return through the main drains or is it OK to use the skimmers as well?

As far as CYA, my test this morning did nothing to obscure the black dot. The value I gave yesterday ashamedly came from a test sheet the local pool store gave me. :cry: I have done nothing to bring that value up and I doubt the public water supply has much in it. If CYA keeps chlorine in the pool longer, I don't think I will need any for a while since my levels are so high. If I am at 16 and the ideal is 4, how long will it take to get back where I need to be?

You need some CYA in the water or you will lose all of your chlorine over the course of a sunny day. Adjust CYA to between 30 and 50. Keep in mind that your CYA level might not really be zero, the test can still read zero when CYA is as high as 20.

Funny you should mention losing chlorine. I was going after stabilizer and thought I would have them test my water (different store). The guy told me I had no chlorine which of course I knew was not true. I tested when I got home and sure enough, the chlorine was gone. I got a reading of .5 while this morning it was 16. It was about 75 today with hazy sunshine. Is it really possible to lose that much chlorine in 10 hours? I feel like I am on a roller coaster ride! I am putting in a gallon of stabilizer tonight but I will have to wait for WalMart to restock bleach!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.