New pool looks old

Is the bond beam just the top of the pool then??

I don’t know why they would put grouting in there just to have it beak off and fall in the pool and leave such a big gap in there.

I guess I am just worried about Pool water and chemicals getting in there and causing issues.
I sent you a pm. Im curious if we have the same builder

The bond beam is the concrete top of the pool outlined in red.

4mm plastic sheet or 2 layers of roofing felt underlayment should have been laid on this area before concrete was poured to create a slip joint as the expansion joint.

Bond beam.jpeg

4mm plastic sheet or 2 layers of roofing felt underlayment should have been laid on this area before concrete was poured to create a slip joint as the expansion joint.

View attachment 483723
I apologize as I’m not trying to hijack the thread but aside from the bond beam potentially shearing which obviously would be terrible what are other potential ramifications if the plastic or roofing paper is not used?

I apologize as I’m not trying to hijack the thread but aside from the bond beam potentially shearing which obviously would be terrible what are other potential ramifications if the plastic or roofing paper is not used?

Cracked bond beam, cracked plaster, cracked tiles, tiles popping off, grout falling off all from pressure the deck puts on the pool structure.

It usually takes a few years to develop.

View attachment 483723
I appreciate the clarification, I was reading the description of a bond beam as a separate piece of concrete to help support the deck and not put the weight on the pool, but I see it is just the top of the pool itself. Is it normal for the gap to be so large??

It looks like it was just the same width as the rest of the pool, where diagrams appear to show it larger at the top.

Attachments

• 781CBD16-FA8B-49FB-8122-DFBBC603BB72.jpeg
    781CBD16-FA8B-49FB-8122-DFBBC603BB72.jpeg
    477.4 KB · Views: 13
Cracked bond beam, cracked plaster, cracked tiles, tiles popping off, grout falling off all from pressure the deck puts on the pool structure.

It usually takes a few years to develop.
Well that sucks. I used the biggest builder in Arizona. While different than the OP they both subbed out decking to the same concrete company. I have it on my cameras that nothing was used to separate mine.

The front of the deck has lifted for some reason.

Most likely, the back of the deck is settling.

Can you show all pictures of the build?

41ce039a-9653-494b-a165-dd94c42230f4-jpeg.482729

I’m worried since it’s all one piece of concrete with no rebar or anything that it might cause problems later. They barely even raked the dirt a little and just poured concrete and called it good. They put lines to make it look like sections or joints but it’s all one big piece.

Here are some completed picture

Attachments

• EC2B49B9-1083-4F41-9199-FFEF57A9FA95.jpeg
    EC2B49B9-1083-4F41-9199-FFEF57A9FA95.jpeg
    353.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 24A64E89-F913-437D-92F3-47180ADA1B06.jpeg
    24A64E89-F913-437D-92F3-47180ADA1B06.jpeg
    476.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 68D42CF4-FFD9-462B-B7A4-EFB74DAA2C20.jpeg
    68D42CF4-FFD9-462B-B7A4-EFB74DAA2C20.jpeg
    418 KB · Views: 26
  • 0702CB12-6672-4C54-99A6-CE78355C2F17.jpeg
    0702CB12-6672-4C54-99A6-CE78355C2F17.jpeg
    449.5 KB · Views: 25

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m worried since it’s all one piece of concrete with no rebar or anything that it might cause problems later. They barely even raked the dirt a little and just poured concrete and called it good. They put lines to make it look like sections or joints but it’s all one big piece.

The lines are crack control joints....

Because of the grout it appears that the deck is unlevel. In fact the gap is the same between the tile and the decking.

--Jeff

When you grout a joint, you grout the entire joint.

You can’t grout half of the joint.

When the joint was grouted, the deck was lower and the grout filled the entire joint.

The deck has since lifted and created a gap.

The grout stuck to the top on the left and to the bottom on the right.

How would you grout halfway down or halfway up?

Even if you could grout halfway down or halfway up, why would you suddenly switch from up to down?

In my opinion, the deck clearly lifted.

1681827471421.png

When you grout a joint, you grout the entire joint.

You can’t grout half of the joint.

When the joint was grouted, the deck was lower and the grout filled the entire joint.

The deck has since lifted and created a gap.

The grout stuck to the top on the left and to the bottom on the right.

How would you grout halfway down or halfway up?

Even if you could grout halfway down or halfway up, why would you suddenly switch from up to down?

In my opinion, the deck clearly lifted.

View attachment 483824

Agree on the grouting the joint part. Gotcha. Misunderstood what you were saying about the front of the deck lifting.

--Jeff

On my pool they used a flexable RTV like material that can move not grout in the seam. I had issues with the application and had to get redone because is was separating.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.