New pool Jandy DEV 48 filter was run without DE in it for month or more...

Marlin304

May 8, 2020
Illinois
Hello,

New pool filled last fall and closed. Then opened this year. I thought I had a sand filter. Turns out it was a DE filter. Pool company ran it last fall for a week or so and over a month this Spring with no DE powder in it. I read the manual and it states not to run for more than 3 minutes without DE or you can damage the filter. After about 3 weeks of running this spring I noticed my filter pressure would elevate in a day and flow would drop to almost nothing. I would back flush and pressure would rise after a day. Pool company took filter apart and hosed down the grids. Then I discovered the sticker that said it required 5 lbs of DE. I added that this morning in a bucket of water to skimmer. I'll see how pressure and flow are tonight or tomorrow. My question is do you think the grids are probably damaged and need to be replaced or should I give them a try? The funny thing is that I had added about half cup of DE a few times after backwashing thinking I was adding to a sand filter because I had read about this on TFP. My water quality is actually really good I test daily with the tfp test and water is clear. I do get some dust on the bottom that I thought at one point was dead algae but not sure what it is now. I had slammed the pool for about a week and I am keeping chlorine levels adequate per pool calculator since then. Not sure if its dust that the filter wasn't filtering because there was no DE in it?

Marlin,

Did you look at the DE grids?? In theory the DE coats the grids so all the junk gets collected by the DE.. When you run with no DE the junk get trapped in the grids.. If they are damaged, it should be obvious.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.