New Pool Install Filter sizing

Mcintosh1964

May 10, 2020
Maryville Ca.
Hello, I ordered a 33‘ x 18‘ above ground pool with 15,500 gallons. It will have one skimmer and return line both 1.5 inch. . I’ve calculated my turnover at a minimum of 32 GPM based on one turnover in 8 hours. I have decided that I will go with a VS pump and Cartridge filter. My ultimate goal is to have the least maintenance possible and would like to oversize the filter. I was looking at Hayward Max-Flo VS Variable Speed Pumps along with other Hayward and Pentair VS pumps. There are so many VS pumps to choose from that it’s left me more confused after days of research. I’m not sure which pump would be best. Along with a VS pump I was interested in a large or extra large cartridge filter. Something that would reduce the cleaning period to twice or if possible once a season. I do understand that cleaning frequency has many variables such as debris and dust so I was thinking a extra large filter would not hurt. I see filters such as the Hayward Swim Clear Large Capacity Cartridge Filter, 325 sq ft and 425 sq ft and similar sizes from other manufacturers. I’ve even seen one from Doheny’s with 525 sq ft of area. Would such a large filter be overkill or detrimental? I can’t seem to find any concrete info on the minimum Sq ft of cartridge area needed for my pool. If I knew the minimum then the numbers would be easier to interpret. My research leads me to believe that when it comes to cartridge filters, the bigger the better and go with the largest that your wallet will allow. Is this true? I will also be installing a Salt Water System but have yet to start my research on that.
Any help that you can provide on my VS pump and filter questions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time.

Correct. The bigger the better with a cartridge filter.

I think pumps are largely a commodity. Buy an AGP pump made to be below the water. Maxflo pump is for inground pools. Look at ...

I think pumps are largely a commodity. Buy an AGP pump made to be below the water. Maxflo pump is for inground pools. Look at ...

Thanks for your reply. The power flow VS 300 looks great. I will go with the above ground VS pump. Just for learning purposes, is it detrimental to install a IGP on a ABP. I do understand that IGP’s are self priming but are there other differences that would make is a non recommended option?

Just for learning purposes, is it detrimental to install a IGP on a ABP. I do understand that IGP’s are self priming but are there other differences that would make is a non recommended option?

Primarily the priming differences.

Primarily the priming differences.

Thanks for the links. Good read! The PowerFlo VS300 is playing hard to get. I’ve called 3 online pool suppliers and they do not carry the pump. I called Leslies and they told me they don’t carry it and I would have to go thru Hayward directly who they said are currently closed. ( I did not confirm that ). I will continue to search and make calls but thought I would ask if you have a suggestion on where I could find it.
Thanks
John

Thanks for the links. Good read! The PowerFlo VS300 is playing hard to get. I’ve called 3 online pool suppliers and they do not carry the pump. I called Leslies and they told me they don’t carry it and I would have to go thru Hayward directly who they said are currently closed. ( I did not confirm that ). I will continue to search and make calls but thought I would ask if you have a suggestion on where I could find it.
Thanks
John
I was thinking of starting a new thread called
“ Help finding a Hayward VS300 pump”
what do you think? Kind of new to forums ?

Contact Inyopools and see what equivalent pumps they have in stock.

Supply of a lot of things are getting scarce with supply chain disruptions and increased demand.

Thank You!
I’ve decided on the Hayward Swim Clear 325 sq ft cartridge filter. I only found 1 powerflo VS300 Pump in Georgia and they will not ship. I talked to Hayward and they gave me 3 dealer numbers to call and I’ve been unable to get a return call. I think I’m stuck with a IGP for my AGP. I was looking at the Hayward In Ground VS pumps and it seams that I should just go with the cheapest one I can get because they will all greatly exceed the flow that I need for my pool. Looking at the flow charts for the various pumps has me Running them at a very low RPM for most of the day.
What do you think of this? Do you see any issues with the pump and filter combination that I’m considering.
Thanks again for your help.

Any VS pump will do fine for you running at a low RPM.

What model pumps can you get?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mc,

Welcome to TFP! You are definitely on the right track for a truly trouble free pool. As you've discovered we have experts in everything related to pools. Plus we don't sell anything so you can be sure you get non-conflicted advice. You've gotten great input on the filter already so I'll just suggest you look around at salt systems and be careful about how they're rated. TFP recommends you size for 2x the volume the salt systems are rated for. But some brands actually rate for larger size pool with less chlorine output. Check the output and you'll find what brands do this. I chose my salt system on several factors:
  • $/lb chlorine output
  • Warranty
  • Reputation here
There is a great page here that does most of the homework for you. Ask any questions you may have. There are several online stores; prices and deals seem to vary a lot so check the current market. We have a lot of members that converted to salt over the past few years and recently I think it's even more common now because liquid chlorine was harder to get for a while. Many people seem to be very happy with Circupool (me included) but there are others also very happy with other brands. The major pool equipment suppliers have imposed limitations on warranty if you plan to DIY. Warranty is important since there seem to still be some early failures of the cells and replacement is expensive.

Last suggestion to make is while you're ordering all this stuff please do get a recommended test kit if you don't already have one. There are only two brands we recommend so you'll need one of these to use TFP methods.

Again, welcome aboard and good luck with the upgrades!

Chris

Mc,

Welcome to TFP! You are definitely on the right track for a truly trouble free pool. As you've discovered we have experts in everything related to pools. Plus we don't sell anything so you can be sure you get non-conflicted advice. You've gotten great input on the filter already so I'll just suggest you look around at salt systems and be careful about how they're rated. TFP recommends you size for 2x the volume the salt systems are rated for. But some brands actually rate for larger size pool with less chlorine output. Check the output and you'll find what brands do this. I chose my salt system on several factors:
  • $/lb chlorine output
  • Warranty
  • Reputation here
There is a great page here that does most of the homework for you. Ask any questions you may have. There are several online stores; prices and deals seem to vary a lot so check the current market. We have a lot of members that converted to salt over the past few years and recently I think it's even more common now because liquid chlorine was harder to get for a while. Many people seem to be very happy with Circupool (me included) but there are others also very happy with other brands. The major pool equipment suppliers have imposed limitations on warranty if you plan to DIY. Warranty is important since there seem to still be some early failures of the cells and replacement is expensive.

Last suggestion to make is while you're ordering all this stuff please do get a recommended test kit if you don't already have one. There are only two brands we recommend so you'll need one of these to use TFP methods.

Again, welcome aboard and good luck with the upgrades!

Chris
Thanks for the help Chris.

Any VS pump will do fine for you running at a low RPM.

What model pumps can you get?
This was one of my top candidates. I guess it’s future proof if I ever decide to put in a slide for the grandkids. Was also thinking about adding a intake and return to the pool with 2” sch 40. Could not find a thread referring to this. Pool was delivered on Friday. Figured if adding any inlets or returns were possible then now is the time to do it. I see that the parts are relatively cheap but am not sure if a special tool is required for pools. I have a green-Lee hydraulic hole punch that I’ve used for electrical conduit holes. What’s your thoughts on this. And thanks for all your help.

This was one of my top candidates. I guess it’s future proof if I ever decide to put in a slide for the grandkids. Was also thinking about adding a intake and return to the pool with 2” sch 40. Could not find a thread referring to this. Pool was delivered on Friday. Figured if adding any inlets or returns were possible then now is the time to do it. I see that the parts are relatively cheap but am not sure if a special tool is required for pools. I have a green-Lee hydraulic hole punch that I’ve used for electrical conduit holes. What’s your thoughts on this. And thanks for all your help.
Sorry, here is the pump : Hayward SP26115VSP Super Pump VS 0.85 HP Variable-Speed Pool Pump,

The Hayward SP26115VSP should be fine.

I have never punched holes in an AGP to advise you.

Mentioned my project to a customer today and he said his son-in-law works for a pool installer. He took my number and will inquire about adding the lines to an AGP. If I get any info, I’ll share it here.
Did not hear back from him yet but received info from another source. Punching holes is no problem. It was recommended to Install 2 LWS ( low water suction) inlets about 4’ apart and about 2’ from the bottom of the wall using standard Hayward SP1023 wall returns for AGpools. Then use a Hayward safety grate SP1026 to cover the suction lines. Punch another hole for the second return further down the pool as have both eyeballs in the same direction, to create a circular flow pattern back to the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.