New pool in South Florida - feedback request

Jun 28, 2017
Delray Beach, FL
New pool in South Florida - almost done!

We've had a pool for many years but this is the first time building for us. I became a bit frustrated with the design process so I subscribed to pool studio and did my own design. Posting it here looking for feedback on the design as well as the equipment being proposed by the PB. The pool will be 30x22 overall with sun shelf and spa, in a screened enclosure. Leaning towards Blue Surf Pebble Sheen. Deck with 16x16 offset Ivory travertine and 12x24x2 travertine coping and step treads. My PB is charging $35/LF for the coping which seems way overpriced to me. He claims the labor is very costly even though the material cost is only around $15/ft. Does anyone have any experience with the 2" travertine coping? I really like it much better than a standard 1" square edge but it's really expensive.

Any other feedback/comments welcome. We want to get this right the first time.

Proposed equipment (all Jandy):

2 HP VS main pump
CL 460 filter
400,000 btu gas heater
2 HP single speed water feature pump
Purlink salt system
RS-PS4 controller + iAqualink
3 led multicolor lights
2 led multicolor bubblers
1HP silencer blower
4' sheer descent

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_3.jpg

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

You're ahead of me when I was building! I had never owned a pool. Great design! I like where the deep end is. If I skip something, it's cuz I have no knowledge or experience.

I have the 2" travertine coping: bull-nosed, honed and filled. I love it, but I don't remember the cost, and my PB wasn't big into itemizing. I was lucky everything worked out, but next time, I'll get it all itemized!!!

* Steps: I like how the steps are 'bumped out' - no wasting swim space there.

* Sheer descent: Did ya'll have a sheer descent in your other pool? Mine is a 3' sheer descent, and it is LOUD! It's at least 40-45 feet from the back of my house. A 4' sheer will be even louder in the space you have (almost half the length of that wall if I'm figuring correctly). You can have any size you want, just know it will be loud.

* Feature pump: To help with the loudness of the sheer, would it be in the budget to switch out the single speed feature pump for a two speed or a variable speed? Warning: I'm not an expert on pumps, so check with those who know. I really wish I could change the speeds of my feature pump.

* Sun shelf: Have you marked off the outlines of the entire pool on the yard? The sun shelf looks good to me, but make sure you're satisfied with it in real life. It looks like you have some wiggle room to stretch it back (unless that's easement space). You have 5' behind it. In many places I have only 3' which is plenty of room for a walkway. I also have bubblers on my sun shelf about where yours are. Great placement! They don't get in the way. Sometimes PB's will try to center them by the width and length of the shelf - wouldn't have worked well for me.

* Filter: Check with others on your CL 460. It's nice to get them sized up a little so you don't have to clean them as often. That might not be an issue with your screen. I have a CL 580 with 4 cartridges, but I have a larger pool. I clean mine 1-2 times a year. For me, the most difficult part is just opeing and closing the filter housing. The rest is easy with a little bit of time.

* Automation: Great call on getting the iAqualink. I have just the PDA, and even for a non-technology person, I find it frustratingly slow and cumbersome to navigate. I do have the 8 rather than the 4 which will let you program more (or is it different for the iAqualink?). You might check on that since you have a spa, lights, water features, heater, etc. I think you would like more programming ability. Again, ask someone else here to comment about that.

* Lights: Another good call on the lighted bubblers. I have 2 pool lights, 1 spa light, but my bubblers aren't lighted. It is a bit dark on my sun shelf.

* Spa: I have 8 jets and 2 blowers. Talk to your builder or ask on here whether you need the blower or not. I don't think I saw how many jets you're getting. That blower will really make the spa rumble. For me, it's too much, but I don't try to use my spa therapeutically. I definely don't use the blower when I have guests in with me - way too loud to carry on a conversation. BUT..... and this is what you need to check on since it's all dependent on the plumbing set up and spa pump. For my spa, without the blower on, the jets are fairly slow. And it's too loud and turbulent for me with the blowers on. I get a perfect medium speed from the jets if I first turn on the blower, run it a minute or two, then turn off the blower. That gives me the medium speed. My PB's pool set-up guy told me that was the only way to get a medium speed. Since my pool was filled, I didn't question that - too late anyway. I don't know if there's another way to configure your set up to get different power levels through your jets. That's where the pump that will run your spa becomes important to check on.

* What are your depths? Sometimes we make suggestions there, too.

Oh, and forget all the above if you already know it! Lol!!!

Take care,
Suz

4/6,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all already frustrated new pool builders... :shark:

Not sure of your pool volume, but make sure the SWCG is rated for at least 2 x the pool volume.... this is because cells are rated when running at 100% 24/7...

Keep in mind that the aeration that you get from you water features will drive your pH though the roof. Make sure that you can easily control them, so once the newness wears off, you can turn them on and off with your automation.

I like your design and thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Great looking design. My opinion on the filter is it's oversized and maybe the heater too? I have the 340 filter model and it is plenty big enough to get the job done (it's physical big as well). Considering you'll be covered, you will wash it off 2-4 times per year if you keep water balanced (assuming you swim year round). I have the 266k btu gas heater from RayPak so I don't know if we can compare the two brands based on that but my 266k is again plenty big enough. Maybe you need it that size for the spa? I'm in southern NY and keep the pool at 84/86 and it never has trouble keeping the pool at temp (I run my pump 6 hrs per day). My pool is 16x32 with no spa or sun shelf so it's all pool for those dimensions. I'm about 21k gallons so figure out your gallons and go from there. I'd oversize the swcg as everyone here says but I think the 340 filter is more than you need so why waste the money on the 460.

Check to see what landscape builders who work on pools would charge for the coping alone and get another bid or two for the exact job the first pb gave you a price for. I will say I'm not surprised because there is a lot of labor. Anything stone related winds up being very expensive on the labor side.

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. The pool is 3' to 5'. Around here the builders don't want to make it any deeper. I'm tempted to go for more relays in the RS. 4 doesn't seem like a whole lot. The sheer descent is new to me. It's on a 14' wall and I think I'd like the noise. The 460 is an upgrade from the 200 that other PBs have spec'd.

What about returns? The PB provides 3 and I'm not even sure if there's a opportunity or advantage to upgrading those.

Long overdue for an update here. After what seems to be an eternity, we're finally nearing the finish line. Blue Surf Pebble sheen was applied today. Tomorrow is the acid wash and fill.

plaster.jpg
plaster.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Question about your tile ... I’ve had some tell us to stay away from tile with a lot of grout lines due to excessive maintenance. How is your tile doing? Easy to clean? Etc? Thanks!

Sorry just saw this question now. So far the grout is fine. It's grey so I think it will be a while before it really shows as dirty. I actually haven't cleaned it yet.

I do wish that all of the grout had the same "wet look" as the actual wet grout does. I'm wondering if there's something I can put on it to make it dark like the wet grout is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.