New Pool in Central Florida- Need some guidance

simma

Feb 9, 2020
Central Florida
My wife and I been looking at the pool for the last few years. We are now ready to take the plunge been reading and learning a lot on this forum. The process over the last 8 weeks to get quotes has been aggravating at best. Have reached out to several reputable pool builders, for quotes and either they do not respond or the ones that do never follow through with appointments. I guess business is booming or these are red flags of how they operate. I am working with 2 right now but I am constantly following up, this concerns me if this is how they operate before they get my $.

Pool Specs:
14 x 28
3.5 to 5.5 depth
Sunshelf with led bubbler
2 wall returns
3 floor returns
1 dedicated suction line
25 gpm pool skimmer
2in drains

Equipment:
Pentair superflow 1.5 hp VS pump
Pentair Clean & clear RP 150 filter
Pentair Iclor 30 sanitizer
Intelliconnect automation

Pavers vs Travertine.
Debating between Pavers or Travertine. I personally do not like the brick coping and all the little lines around the pool edge with pavers, prefer a clean straight edge as the coping this will be a rectangular pool.

One of the builders I am working with seem to have a hard time presenting a 3d design he will quickly send a 2d but when ask for a 3d visual that seems to be a challenge.

Let me know your thoughts on the above specs. I have attached the look I am going for from an older quote

Attachments

• Pool1.jpg
    Pool1.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Pool2.jpg
    Pool2.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Hello! Yes, business is booming. Some builders are booked thru 2021 at this point. Are you going to have a cage?
yes, need a cage for these Florida bugs. TampaKathy I see in your signature you went with Travertine Decking, what sold you on Travertine over flagstone pavers? Hows is the Travertine working for you is it slippery when it rains, needs annual resealing etc?

S,

I hope you realize that you can't control a SuperFlo VS with automation.. The only pump that can be controlled by Pentair automation is the IntelliFlo style pumps.

And the IntelliConnect does not have the ability to control any automated valves.

Thanks,

Jim R.

We just finished our pool, located in the Tampa area. Yes most pool builders are super busy right now. We started our process in March. Signed a contract in mid June. Started the construction August 6 and filled the pool Oct 26th. There area a few things they have to touch up but it's done. We were lucky to start just when the Covid lockdown started. I think that caused a bunch of families to realized how beneficial a pool is, is included.

Here are some tips I learned.
Try to negotiate the payment draws. They always want a bunch of money up front.
Get a full parts list, Sku numbers included of what's being used.
Ask about what type of valves they will be using, some use cheaper ball lock valves.
Make sure every conversation had a paper/digital trail. Of you speaking the phone and they promise something, follow up with an email or text to confirm what will be done.
Check this forum, I saved a bunch of money and headaches by going into the process with a bunch of knowledge. Knowing which items I wanted mainly.
Ask ask ask questions.
As for the deck, we went with travertine. Haven't gotten much use so I can't say weather it's more slippery, I don't think it is. But the look is amazing.
Remember there are different grades and colors so know what you're getting.
Also, for the cage, that will be a different permit. So I would get pricing from other companies, if you get something better ask the builder to match it. If they don't just have them do the footers and get a screen company on your own. Make sure they use American made screens. Most use Chinese, there is a difference in quality.

My build hasn't started yet but I'm going with travertine decking b/c I like the look of it! I don't have any kids that I have to worry about running and slipping. One of the PBs that I talked to said we could do concrete pavers with travertine coping if we wanted so that may be an option you could ask about.

S,

I hope you realize that you can't control a SuperFlo VS with automation.. The only pump that can be controlled by Pentair automation is the IntelliFlo style pumps.

And the IntelliConnect does not have the ability to control any automated valves.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Jim,

Did not realize that, nor did PB mention that fact. I will revisit this with PB. I want to automate as much as possible.

I want to automate as much as possible.

S,

Unless you have a pool with a spa, you really don't "need" automation..

I have a very simple pool, but love my automation system.. The downside of an automation system is cost... Pay back my take the rest of my entire life, but I don't care.. :mrgreen:

My suggestion would be to figure out exactly what you want your automation system to do and then make sure you tell your pool builder what it is.. He needs to be able to make sure you get the system that will do what you want, and at the same time, make sure your pool is built to allow the automation system to work..

A simple example is the type of valves.. Some pool builders use ball valves.. Since ball valves can't be controlled by automation it makes them useless..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sim,

We have a pool south of you and can verify the cage is required in Florida. First thing we added and makes the whole pool patio way more usable. But they are pretty expensive with the building code changes a few years back. I think ours was about $15K. We often eat on the patio table and just enjoy life out there. I'd echo what Jim said about automation. I'd still have it without a spa but that's just because I like to automate things. Most people that get spas never use them and it turns out to be a waste of money. But we're the exception to that. We swim several times per week year round and use the spa at least weekly. It's part of why we're in Florida. I have to make sure the pool temp is right for my wife on swim nights and even that alone is much easier with automation. We have a solar heater and gas heat. Wife's min temp is 89 but she really wants it 90. I started with a mechanical timer, then added Jandy RS iAqualink, then converted to Pentair Intellicenter after a lightning strike for automation that has "solar preferred" heat setting to maximize solar on swim days. Other days I just keep it on "solar only". Spa is often used a couple times per week and I would not like having to go to the pool pad to change the temps. Especially this time of year. Also get a type 1 and type 2 surge protector. One lightning strike pays for it many times over.

I'd vote for pavers or anything for that matter instead of travertine. It can be impossible to get the quality of travertine that will hold up out doors. I agree it's gorgeous looking at first but my one experience with this a long time ago taught me never again. The gorgeous can get ugly in a hurry. Pavers can be a maintenance headache but do make it easy to fix or add plumbing.

If we were building new today after almost 8 years on this pool we'd go with Pentair Intellicenter, full automation, salt pool, cage, and get a robot day one plus never have one without the spa. Surge protection is a must in Florida. The spa and automation are more "personal preference" the rest is just the way to go especially in Florida.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Sim,

We have a pool south of you and can verify the cage is required in Florida. First thing we added and makes the whole pool patio way more usable. But they are pretty expensive with the building code changes a few years back. I think ours was about $15K. We often eat on the patio table and just enjoy life out there. I'd echo what Jim said about automation. I'd still have it without a spa but that's just because I like to automate things. Most people that get spas never use them and it turns out to be a waste of money. But we're the exception to that. We swim several times per week year round and use the spa at least weekly. It's part of why we're in Florida. I have to make sure the pool temp is right for my wife on swim nights and even that alone is much easier with automation. We have a solar heater and gas heat. Wife's min temp is 89 but she really wants it 90. I started with a mechanical timer, then added Jandy RS iAqualink, then converted to Pentair Intellicenter after a lightning strike for automation that has "solar preferred" heat setting to maximize solar on swim days. Other days I just keep it on "solar only". Spa is often used a couple times per week and I would not like having to go to the pool pad to change the temps. Especially this time of year. Also get a type 1 and type 2 surge protector. One lightning strike pays for it many times over.

I'd vote for pavers or anything for that matter instead of travertine. It can be impossible to get the quality of travertine that will hold up out doors. I agree it's gorgeous looking at first but my one experience with this a long time ago taught me never again. The gorgeous can get ugly in a hurry. Pavers can be a maintenance headache but do make it easy to fix or add plumbing.

If we were building new today after almost 8 years on this pool we'd go with Pentair Intellicenter, full automation, salt pool, cage, and get a robot day one plus never have one without the spa. Surge protection is a must in Florida. The spa and automation are more "personal preference" the rest is just the way to go especially in Florida.

I hope this helps.

Chris
Thank Chris, this is helpful. I will update the pump, as I may add a few therapy jets to the built. I looked into a built-in spa as part of the build but ultimately decided against it as it was going to add another 15K to the project. I will probably get a stand alone hot tub in the future, which will be half the price, more comfortable, and more features. 90 degree pool sure does sound nice. I am not getting a heater just yet, but will have it pre-plum for the future. I am still debating the pavers vs travertine, flagstone only has a few color options and not a fan of most.

Reactions: setsailsoon
A cage does far more than keeping insects and critters out.

It greatly reduces the amount of sunlight coming through. That minimizes the loss of chorine and allows a lower level of stabilizer if you wish. It also keeps the water cooler in the summer. It makes the patio and house cooler in the summer. It greatly reduces UV exposure, no one in my family has ever required sunscreen when using the pool or patio.

In addition it's a safety cage, keeping out unwanted guests.

Cages only seem to be popular in Florida. I'd think more folks in other warm locations without the threat of snow would use them more and have no idea why they don't.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.