New Pool in Austin!

We're still a week or two away from shotcrete, but I chose the coping (buff Lueders), waterline tile (Aquabella Bora Bora Marine 1x2 subway tile), and the outside of the spa (Patara Stone Fossil Stone 3x6 subway limestone tiles). Going with Blue Granite pebble sheen. Getting excited!
View attachment 170013 View attachment 170014

Hello from NW hills :) we submitted our permits at the beginning of august, got approved beginning of nov. Then PB needed 3 weeks to get us in. Then it rained. They started this past week.

Maybe we are wimps, but from our last pool, the water is too cold if it is cooler than 90 degrees outside. We have never needed a chiller.

I prefer liquid chlorine and on my last pool used a 15 gallon tank and a stenner pump to automatically inject chlorine into the pool as a backup water supply for plants. Ill do rainwater collection into the pool and then use backwashed water to water plants.

Using rainwater helps to dilute CYA buildup from pucks, reduce calcium levels, and keeps the salt from chlorine down.

Hello from NW hills :) we submitted our permits at the beginning of august, got approved beginning of nov. Then PB needed 3 weeks to get us in. Then it rained. They started this past week.

Maybe we are wimps, but from our last pool, the water is too cold if it is cooler than 90 degrees outside. We have never needed a chiller.

I prefer liquid chlorine and on my last pool used a 15 gallon tank and a stenner pump to automatically inject chlorine into the pool as a backup water supply for plants. Ill do rainwater collection into the pool and then use backwashed water to water plants.

Using rainwater helps to dilute CYA buildup from pucks, reduce calcium levels, and keeps the salt from chlorine down.
Where in NW Hills are you, that's where I live? Always good to have TFP friends in the hood should you need some pool maintenance while traveling, etc.

I would go for the lip. That is a huge step and you don’t want to be touching it while you are trying to relax. Ours is done with rebar and when I saw the rebar I made him make it smaller. It could still be smaller, IMO, but I didn’t want to make him do it again.

Congrats on "making it real"!. Shotcrete is a huge step and the pool looks great. I personally wouldnt have the step at all. More room for sitting in the spa is better.

Dont forget to water the shell though it looks like rain today :)

Last edited:
Reactions: immlab
Congrats - all looks great! We don’t have a step in our spa, so I don’t know if it would helpful or not. Our “half in, half out” people just sit on the edge of the spa. They do the same thing around the pool, even though there is a tanning ledge. 🙂

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, I was told you don't want to do that wide of a tile on a curved surface because the edges will look like they are popping off. That's why we asked for vertical... but came home to find it horizontal.

Second question of the day... sorry but we plan on talking to the builder tomorrow to see what our options are...

Would it bother you that the blue/gray mosaic tile does not go all the way around the pool? I asked for it to go at the bottom the raised bond beam so that the darker waterline tile makes a full circle around the pool.

IMG_0664.jpg

Last edited:
I think both are beautiful but the vertical is very special. If it's possible, I'd want it changed. I'm not sure I would be brave enough to demand it though. As for the waterline tile, I like both options equally.

Umm, you need to get what you asked for. As for the waterline tile, I actually asked for ours to be like yours. I don't really like the different tiles on top of each other. You can find examples of both online.

Reactions: Turbo1Ton
Agree with Nikilyn... If you specifically stated what you wanted done, and they didn't follow that, then that is their mistake and they should correct it. Now, the PB is going to push back on that, because it is a lot of lost material and labor, but that isn't your fault.

--Jeff

I understand how you feel but you're paying a lot of money for this pool. Hopefully it will help them be more careful about looking at the orders.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.